Audio & Video Repair Program

Can someone here recommend an audio/video repair program? I have some files I recovered that are not working and need to be repaired.

Unclear what you mean by repaired, but this sounds like something that is not possible for automation (even with our current levels of AI.) It might be, for example, that the headers of the file are missing, and thus your playback program doesn’t recognize them as AV files.

You COULD try an experiment, with COPIES of your files. Get a small working blank file of the same time as the type you’re having a problem with. (Make or record one… or maybe google for one.) Then concatenate that file to the front of your broken file, and see if having the header present allows you to load it into a playback program. (Like VLC from VideoLAN if not another.) This is not a fix by any stretch, but it could help with diagnosis.

On Windows, you can concatenate two files on the command line easily. (You can also do this on Linux and Unix, so probably also on the Mac.)

For Windows, open a CMD window, and the command is
COPY /B file1+file2 file3
which will concatenate file1 and file2 and call it file3. (That /B is VERY important, make sure to include it.)

On Linux, and probably Mac, open command shell and the command is
cat file1 file2 > file3
that does the same thing…

I apologize for being unclear. Let me start again. I recently used a file recovery program to recover deleted files; among the files recovered were mp3,.mp4, and MPEG files. The files recovered are corrupted and will not play. I’m looking for a software program that can fix those files and is compatible with Windows 10.

Not to sound snarky but are you sure you recovered the deleted files? Corruption errors would suggest that maybe it didn’t work as advertised and there’s still portions of data missing.

1 Like

Well, as I said, I don’t think there any one program that will help you. (Well, not to be snarky, but the restore ability of a [presumably not existing] backup might help.) Do the files still have the correct file extension(s)? If you know which file is which, you could make sure that the MP3 files are renamed from something like UNKNOWN.REC to REC001.MP3. That would allow the OS to attempt to play them.

One thing you can do, is use a program like a hex editor to view the start of the file. Look at a known good file of that type (MP3) and then look at your recovered file, and see if they’re generally similar. This will let you know if the header is still present. I recommend HxD as a good hex editor.

All the files I checked have the correct extensions, but some of them are 0 bytes, so I guess those ones are goners. There’s one that is 860 MB and has the correct file extension but still won’t play.