ATG 2008: Tim Cook's Folly

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

For the caller stating his network card would drop I’d put my money on it’s a sleep issue. Win11 is plagued with sleep issues that it’s best to not even keep it on and run a screensaver instead.

1 Like

Is a guess but I think when winlogin gets rebooted it’s not letting go of its previous device instance which is why if you disable and reenable the network card it works. Also not all restarts are created equal, you could be selecting the restart option but it’s a soft reboot and not a hard reboot which means the previous winlogin that is stuck is still active and running so a reboot doesn’t solve it since it’s not a shutdown.

The restore he ran is telling. An issue like this is more prominent when you have a corrupt profile. A restore may not clear out a corrupt profile but instead write over it and if that’s the case the network issue he’s having is a more common occurrence.

1 Like

I’d be reluctant to encourage ditching of SMS technology. Where I am, there are areas where there is no data coverage at all, and signal strength is sometimes too poor for reliable voice calls. In these locations SMS is the only reliable way of summoning help in an emergency. I’m thinking particularly about public roads passing through land reserved for the military, where additional cell towers will never be permitted to be built.