Apple Hide My Email

Wondering if Mikah and Rosemary have discussed the iOS Hide My Email capability. I have heard Mikah and Leo mentioning other providers of such a feature, but not the iOS version.

There seem to be two different ways to use it.

First is through the “Log in with Apple” feature on some websites. Not sure if the email address generated can be used anywhere else.

Second one requires an Apple+ account. New alias emails can be created in Settings/iCloud/Hide My Email and seem to be universal (I can send emails using these addresses in the iOS Mail app and create unique address for any account I want to open anonomously).

I use this daily and it is the best feature of iCloud+ in my opinion. Having it “just work” in Safari whenever an email field pops up and in the “from” field in Mail is clutch. I know that there are other services that do this now, including one built in to Firefox, but Apple’s integration is really nice.

Any advice on handling keeping track of these addresses as user names? I know I can find them in settings/icloud/hide my email, but that doesn’t keep track of passwords related to accounts I create with these aliases. I currently have to create a new entry in my password manager with the alias as the user name. Just seems like there might be some hidden tricks that simplify their use, like auto filling user name when on the accounts website.

I was kind of hoping Mikah might take this subject on as a topic for Hands on Mac and iOS Today. And maybe a short review in Security Now.

I use a password manager. In my case, 1Password, but Bitwarden is also very good.

If it’s created in Safari, safari remembers the site and will prompt with the hidden email on those sites. Your PW manager should pick up on that login info. MacOS also has a new feature where you can right click/autofill in from Keychain into any login (like Firefox).

1 Like

That is how I do it as well.

1 Like