AAA 486: Upgrade Promises Are Improving

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

In regards to Oxygen OS 11 getting more customised, it occurs to me that OnePlus are getting more ambitious.

In a way they are copying Samsung’s own playbook: copy the market leader & add better specs for the price. By aligning more closely to Samsung’s OneUI, they probably hope to entice existing Samsung users with a similar expierence. It’s the same tactic Samsung used with Nokia many years ago and then with the iPhone on the early S series phones.

With Samsung’s S series phones going up in price and OnePlus top of the line flagship still costing less than the entry level S20 RRP; they can still play the value card.

So yes, the enthusiasts won’t be happy; but on a general sales level the customisations have worked for Samsung a lot better than the Pixel experience has for Google.

This is a sad subject! I feel bad for Android folks who don’t get 5-6 or more years of OS updates

1 Like

I feel the same as Jerry who wrote the article they discussed.

With phones that cost > $500US there is no way I’d buy an Android over an iPhone due to the short update life.

In the past I’ve bought < $200 brand new Android phones and with those typically there were no OS version updates and often no security updates. However at those prices, especially my first smartphone ($80), it was reasonable there is no room in the cost for update support.

In the last few years I’ve migrated to mid-range Google phones to get the 3 year support ($400 Nexus 5X, $300 Pixel 3a, and today $350 for a Pixel 4a). If someday Google extends the support to 5 years then I’d consider a > $500 phone from them, but as it stands now I’d switch to an iPhone if I’m spending that much money.

2 Likes

It’s nice that Samsung’s formally stated their upgrade policy, but…I wonder what that means for users like me? I got the Galaxy S10+ in April, which is still being sold on their website. It shipped with Android 9 and, within a week of opening the package, it was upgraded to Android 10. So will I get upgrades through Android 13 or will they stop at 12…?

That should mean upgrade to 12 + a year of patches for 12.

The important bit is the patches. They are critical for a device that spends all of its time online. I’m not too bothered about the version upgrades, as long as I get the patches within a couple of days of Google announcing them.

1 Like

I was reading c’t magazine this morning at they put the Pixel 4a and the OnePlus Nord head-to-head. The OnePlus Nord was streets ahead of the 4a in every category, from single and multi-core performance to battery longevity to recharge times.

If I wanted to contact Samsung with feedback on their phones and strategy, who would I contact and where?