WW 835: Sifting Mud for Nymphs

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Consoles having exclusive titles is irritating, but I can understand it’s a legacy situation from when consoles actually had different, innovative architecture designs. Plus, the hardware has to be subsidized somehow. What I think is so frustratingly egregious is Epic Games’ behavior within the PC gaming space, where they pay developers for exclusivity in their game launcher software. It’s an entirely synthetic restriction made solely from a business standpoint at the expense of consumers. How about the FTC takes a look over there?

I would love to get my hands on one of those Spot bottles! I’ve been enjoying a Rosé Cask-finished Penelope bourbon lately, getting a taste for these wine finishes.

Re DuckDuckGo DuckDuckGo "Watching You" TV advertisement. - YouTube

I need to ask @Leo and the other presenters to look up Artificial and Intelligence in the dictionary. It doesn’t mention anything about thinking or sentience, it ‘the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills:’

An LLM meets those requirements, it sucks in data and then has a skill of rearranging it in answer to questions

Absolutely - my quibble is merely with the word Intelligence. I’m worried that people will think these machines are intelligent - in the sense of human intelligence.

Just as your use of the word “skill” implies agency. These are just machines. Would you say a toaster is skilled at making toast?

2 Likes

If you define a skill as being consistently better than average at a particular task than most, then yes, a toaster is skilled at making toast. You could argue that Gordon Ramsey may make a prettier, nicer presented, fancier piece of toast, but I would argue it probably tastes worse and takes 5 times long to get to me!

We should continue this discussion in 6months when we visit Petaluma, might even bring a bottle :grin:

Can’t remember if the new Outlook preview was talked about this week or last. Anyway, finding it pretty good. Much better than the very basic mail and calendar apps that never worked reliably for me. Only thing I miss is a combined inbox (unless it’s hidden in settings somewhere and I’ve not found it).

I’ve been referring to these various ML-based technologies as Virtual Intelligence, or VI, instead of AI. Since it was sci-fi that poisoned the phrase to begin with, why borrow from sci-fi to fix it? For reference - Mass Effect Month: Day 12 – The Case of EDI – AmbiGaming.

I thought Virtual Intelligence described Florida Man, it walks, talks and eats - yet still tries to kiss the alligators

so… still quite advanced over what folks are calling “AI” these days

1 Like

I understand what you, Leo BID and others are saying, but by the dictionary and by the industry experts what they call AI is actually AI.

It’s a bit like people deciding a hairless cat isn’t a cat, just because you don’t think it should be called a cat.