WW 825: You're Not a Normal Human

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I disagree with Mikah’s assertion that Netflix has a leg up on game streaming. Running a video CDN is wildly different from hosting an interactive service that is highly susceptible to latency.

It might seem like Netflix has an advantage with their PoPs (points of presence) already in the field, but you’ve got to realize that these PoPs are mostly installed within ISP spaces and are relatively low power servers - they only need to serve up static data. No rendering, no real concern about response times. A buildout on the scale of Stadia or Xbox Cloud Gaming will be a new venture for them.

I expect a bumpy ride when they do step up from silly little mobile games to AAA titles.

Think I’ve said this before, but the Samsung apps on their phones make sense if you have more than one Samsung device. Google’s apps have no ecosystem features.

Phone dialler for example. If I use the Samsung phone dialler, I can pick up calls on my Galaxy tablet. I do this often, as the speakers are much better for speakerphone.

Same with messages. Use Samsung’s, any messages also appear on your tablet.

One issue I’m finding though is with MS Phone Link. If it’s connected, my laptop grabs my earbuds BT connection when I’m on a call on another device. I’ve disconnected it for now, prob some Samsung/MS software weirdness.