WW 822: Squirt a Little Fresh Air

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Hi guys!

Long time no hear. The episodes are excellent, as always, and Richard is an excellent addition. Wonderful insight, snark, and voice – this works very well.

I just stopped by to share an impression on spirits: in my opinion, this is just too long of a monologue that is just too off-topic. The beer thing of Mary Jo was fun and quick, but this is a lecture each week. As one sometimes trails off and comes back while listening, it seems just that disorienting to wake up to a spirits-talk. Especially at the end of each episode, I’ve always got Whiskey in my ear. This week’s was 20 minutes monologue in a two hour show. That’s slowly closing in on 20% of the runtime – too long.

Anyhow. I suppose it will be fun for many others, I just wanted to share another perspective. Obviously, Richard is very knowledgable in the field and his contribution might provide a welcome break for Paul and Leo, but… Well. Just my two cents. The podcast is lovely as always, plus an earful of Whiskey.

Maybe integrate this more? It will find its groove.
Have a great weekend!

3 Likes

As an avid whisky connoisseur, I find it very interesting and much better than the beer picks from Mary Jo… I’d often just skip over the Beer Picks, because I’m not really a beer drinker and don’t go out of my way to find unusual craft beers - most of which weren’t available here anyway.

For people who don’t drink any alcohol, I can understand that both would be irrelevant and frustrating.

I knew a lot of the principles of producing whisky, but I have actually learnt a lot over the last few episodes and I am very greatful, that Richard is being given the time to pass on his knowledge. As we are now into the distilling process, I assume, the excursions will slowly come to an end, we still have barrles and aging to do, but I think we will soon land in an area where the segment is probably more comparable to Mary Jo’s beer picks.

Edit: having listened to the show, it was the Xbox segment that really got on my nerves.:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’m trying to tighten up the length of the whisky segments but for the time being I figure it’s easy to skip because it’s at the end of the show.

3 Likes

I have no problem with the length, but neither do I have the true interest, and I find I get doing something else and don’t really “take them in”. It seems like an expensive hobby and these days the Canadian government seems in a battle against booze. ( What's behind Canada's drastic new alcohol guidance )

The content does seem kinda epic though, I almost think Richard should write a book and then extract these segments from the podcast to go along with it :wink:

2 Likes

Now that we’ve finished the scottish whisky series, I think it’ll tone down… I don’t need to explain quite so much of the process any more when talking about a particular whisky.

3 Likes

Richard’s whiskey talks have been fascinating to me - a lot of knowledge to absorb, from someone who really understands the subject!! Mary Jo’s beer picks were ok, but the whiskey talks are awesome

3 Likes

Your talks are fascinating- love them!!

2 Likes

Hey Rich - thanks for even considering to discuss this! I have to say that many people seem to really like the whiskey series. Don’t mind me and my not getting accustomed to change that quickly, too much. That’s probably all it was. You guys do excellent 2h-plus-shows, if I don’t like the liquor segment at the back, I can just turn off early, just like @Leo says. Can’t please everyone. Cheers and kudos on the level of insight you have in this field! Great to hear you in the podcast!

2 Likes

Well, let’s face it - I took what should have been a 2-3 minute bit and, at least in one case, went 30 minutes on it.

I don’t expect to do that again (who knew I could talk about barrelling for that long?), but the point is taken. I don’t expect it to happen again, I think these brown liquor bits can be five minutes.

4 Likes

That’s what we call true passion! :smiley: Nothing else works as well for us listeners.

3 Likes