WW 725: Leveraging Learnings

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

On Windows Sync.

I feel like it just wasn’t that useful. As mentioned, a lot of people have one computer. So they don’t need it.

For those with two, I feel like there are just compatibility -ish issues.

I have a laptop, it’s a laptop, it has a smaller screen and limited space and I use it more for small scale projects like writing or coding or whatever.

Then I have a desktop, it’s a beefy monster, it has 3 monitors, I use it for gaming and video editing.

I don’t need or want the settings to sync because these are going to be set up completely differently. Even basic wallpaper doesn’t work because it’s one small screen versus 3 larger ones.

Its a feature that sounds good on paper but is less useful in practice really.

Containers need to be made more approachable for non devs. Forget the Dockerfile…every Win32 app should be able to be containerized with a right click…“create container” command. Sensible defaults should be used. Then they should be able to be selected from a menu off the Start Menu.

1 Like

Windows 10 competes with Chromebooks in Education even without 10X.

Windows 10 has come a long way in the past few years. We buy the Dell Latitude 3190 with Intel Celeron N4120, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD. That’s not going to win any benchmarks, but honestly it’s fine. The fast SSD makes a huge difference. I use a similar machine for meetings notes, email, Zoom and Teams calls.

The price is similar to Chromebooks, which often have even lower specs. Many Chromebooks struggle just to keep a Zoom call or Google Meet going.

Is Windows 10 more complicated than Chrome OS? Probably, but 90% of the complicated stuff is under the hood and we lock down Windows pretty well. It’s basic mouse and keyboard skills for both Chrome and Windows.

On the management side, we use Microsoft Intune + Windows Autopilot. All we have to do is apply power and Ethernet and the PC configures itself. This ‘Self-Deploying’ mode has been working well for over a year. Google just started rolling out a ‘zero-touch’ Chromebook deployment system this spring.

Windows 10 is fine; just keep improving it.

1 Like

It is good… but when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Windows X could have offered a means to address this with its containerization. Keep every app in it’s own little container and if you need to reinstall the base OS (or upgrade it) it shouldn’t affect anything in any container. If a container gets messed up, blow it away and recreate it.

2 Likes