Windows to Mac Suggestions

Not a fan boy perspective, just a user perspective. My suggestions are the way I choose to use MacOS, but others might not like them.

Suggest you simplify your Dock. I hate a busy Dock. Try using the 4 finger closing swipe on trackpad to bring up “Launchpad” view of all your apps rather than have ones you use infrequently on the dock.

Also consider enabling Hide and Magnification on Dock. You may not like it, but then again, you might. Frees up desktop real estate. Right click on a clear area of Dock to bring up options, or go to Preferences. I also get rid of Recent Apps and Downloads on the Dock. Again, a preference.

Unfortunately there is no overall Notifications OFF setting, Notifications require disabling each one on the Notifications Preference page. And don’t enable them when you install new apps.

Installing apps - Yup, it’s all what you’re used to. Dragging an app icon to the applications folder in an install screen is really easy and “intuitively obvious”. Too bad not all developers provide it. What you don’t see is the simplicity of copying an app .dmg file from a backup, and simply dropping it into the Applications folder. You’ve completely reinstalled the app when you do that in most cases. And deleting simple apps literally is delete it from the Applications folder. For more complex apps, there are Library folders to be deleted, but you can learn how to do that if you’re interested. There is a System level Library, under Macintosh HD on Finder sidebar, and there is a User level Library folder under your home directory, but this one is hidden until you press Option key / Go (on Finder menu bar). Most app files (if there are any) are in Applications Support in each of these Libraries. The interesting thing is if you delete these Library folders, the first time you open the app you installed in Applications folder, they get re-created, but you lose the data.

Exiting apps. Cmd Q quits an app. Easy to remember and learn to do. Searching for Quit under File is annoying. Just be careful which window is in focus when you Cmd Q.

Learning to use Mission Control is really useful. Four fingers on Trackpad, swipe up. You see all the windows opened on the page, but you also see a margin at the top showing all your pages. Move the curser to this margin, and it shows the actual pages. I usually create 4-5 pages. Simply swiping left and right on your current page with 3 fingers allows you to cycle through the pages. It’s a “poor persons” multiple monitors, and takes up no desk area. You can assign specific apps to specific windows, or you can have Mac organise as you work.

Leo’s solution for Windows file system is one way to go. Another is to use Parallels to run Windows as a VM and share files across Win and Mac. If you decide to do this, try using your existing Windows license key when you create the Win11 VM. Worked for me. If your VM is active, you get asked which OS to connect it to.

3 Likes

Be aware that keyboard shortcuts can be remapped in any app too. For example, the default for refreshing a web page is CMD+R, which I have remapped to F5 and Ctrl+F5 for a force refresh. When you remap, the shortcut is updated in the menu too.

I use Launch Pad a fair amount, but more often, I press CMD+Space to bring up Spotlight and start typing, just like in Windows Start menu.

Cmd+W closes the active window or tab in a browser

If you take a lot of screeshots, CMD+Shift+3 for whole screen, CMD+Shift+4 for a region, and CMD+Shift+5 to record a video, just like recent Windows tools.

BetterSnapTool is worth the money if you are used to dragging windows around and snapping them to half, quarter, or whole screen (this is configurable).

2 Likes

Okay, I wrote my reply before I listened to the episode and some of the stuff I mentioned already there!

4 Likes

Yup, you are not alone.

2 Likes

Other than a bit of thought about file formats for any shared storage, I’m pretty agnostic to OS now. The capabilities of the hardware are the big differentiator for me.

All I use is 4-finger swipe up/down/left/right for Mission Control/Task View, run my apps full screen, and Cmd+Spacebar/Window+S for searching/opening apps. I hide docks.

@ant_pruitt mentioned a busy menu bar with all the status items top right. You can tidy this up without resorting to a 3rd-party app. Hold down Cmd and reorder them. Or remove unwanted ones by dragging them off.

’ To rearrange status menus, press and hold the Command key while you drag an icon. To quickly remove a status menu, press and hold the Command key while you drag the icon out of the menu bar.’

What’s in the menu bar on Mac? – Apple Support (UK)

4 Likes

I use a free app to hide icons on menu bar; can’t remember the name right now, but can toggle them with a little chevron icon. I’m not averse to a busy menu bar though as I use iStat Menus - kinda reminds me of my Amiga days with additions to the menu bar.

I’m pretty much OS agnostic too, but then Linux, FreeBSD, and MacOS are pretty similar when it comes to the command line.

3 Likes

:hushed: Really??? THANKS for sharing this. :fist_right:t5:

2 Likes

The LAST thing I wanna do is CLI anything. :smile:

1 Like

Annoyingly I’ve noticed this does not work for some 3rd-party menu bar status items :rage: Hopefully works for Adobe.

1 Like

I use Bartender, which I think was mentioned on the show. It’s a one time fee of $16 but is totally worth it. It will allow you to permanently hide some items, permanently show some item, and throw the rest into a submenu. You can tell it to move items to the main menu bar when they become active (like Dropbox updates a file or you enable VPN). I work exclusively on my 16" MacBook Pro so that real estate is pretty scarce once you open something like Excel or Photoshop. SetApp is a great source if you want to just get a big bundle access to a collection of solid apps. I’m not a fan of the monthly subscription but it is an “easy” button to press.

1 Like

I just wanted to say when I listened to this I was amazed the caster had said they were finding it great having multiple virtual screens now thad gone to the dark side. I’ve been using these since Windows 8

2 Likes

Yeah I used virtual screens in Windows as well.

1 Like