Windows 11 can be made to run where it shouldn't (but should you?)

I tried this tool which I learned about from bleeping computers Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper for all MCT Windows 10 versions from 1507 to 21H1 with business (Enterprise) edition support · GitHub and downloaded a Windows 11 ISO with a workaround embedded to disable the checks for necessary hardware. I then successfully installed it into a VirtualBox virtual machine running on a 4th Gen Intel host with no difficulties.

It’s unclear what, if any, downsides could arise from doing this, but I do think it’s useful for making virtual machines.

The problem is, MS have stated that it won’t get updates, including security fixes on unsupported hardware, specifically, also, in VirtualBox. HyperV and VMware VMs (Parallels as well?) should be okay, as they emulate the required TPM 2.0 module.

Did they actually state this? I recall a discussion on WW recently of the wording of this statement being pretty vague. MS were saying something more like “systems may not be eligible for some updates” or something to that effect.

After the show, there was another blog post, I believe, where it was specifically stated that VMs without TPM 2.0 support would not be supported and unsupported installations won’t get updates.

Edit:

It looks even worse, you still need TPM 2.0 on the host, the VMs (HyperV, VMware, QEMU and Parallels) to use TPM passthru, although it looks like VMware Workstation can also emulate TPM 2.0, I don’t know about the others.

As a tip, VMware Workstation is free for private use, you only need to purchase a license for commercial use.

2 Likes

That article is what got me started into the experimentation with that tool. (I was originally looking for info on what VirtualBox’s plan was for TPM and SecureBoot.) I found another article that claimed Oracle/VirtualBox were working on two options simultaneously. One was pass-through and the other was an actual TPM emulation. I don’t know how authoritative that article was, but it left me with the impression it would be VirtualBox 7.0 that would “properly” support Windows 11.

Hi everyone
So im very confused on what to do

So i have a 2016 laptop with core i7 7th gen and TP2.0
So the only thing that is missing is CPU in system check
Is it really gonna hurt updates if i go ahead and install w11?
I really want to clean install windows as it is getting old but can’t decide to try 11 or stick with 10 or leave it as is witb original w10 that is updated to 21H1

How upset would you be if you updated to Windows 11 and then the machine stops getting updates later? That’s your risk. As I said elsewhere, I am done with the upgrade treadmill, I am sticking on Windows 10. I really don’t like how unfinished Windows 11 felt when launched and still feels today. (Like the bad support for AMD CPUs, which is all I have that could run Windows 11.) From playing with it in a VM you’re not missing much, except for some rounded corners and a bunch of bugs.

2 Likes

I agree with @PHolder , I’m not bothering with the upgrade.

Is there some must-have feature that Windows 11 provides (other than rounded corners and a centered taskbar), that you can’t live without? If so, you can try and move forward, but with the knowledge that Microsoft could pull the plug at some point and you will have to re-install Windows 10 on the laptop.

There is too much missing in Windows 11 to interest me, anyway. For example, I use the jump-lists on the taskbar all day, every day. Yes, I could get around the limitation, but the jump-lists are just a quick and easy shortcut that I like using. That, plus the AMD problems leave me cold.

To be honest, I installed Linux on my home PC and my work laptop will stay on Windows 10 until it is replaced. It is a 2018 model, so probably another 2 - 3 years, before it gets replaced.

1 Like

Yeah tgere is nothing major to interest moving to 11
I just had all versions of MS from Dos so wanted to be up to date
Though i have it on my work PC and soon work laptop as well

Anyways I guess it’s time to install a fresh windows 10 as my original hp windows is getting so slow after 6 years

I might have gotten the same result from a new Win10 installation but I forced a Win11 dual boot install on an old Dell 3582 AIO and it is like new. Faster, more responsive with a few new features that are useful, not life changing.

The Windows OS is like steam a computer virus.

You can Install Windows 11 risk free if you Image your Drive first,
Imaging is one of the most valuable Apps for your Windows Tool Box.

I use the Free Macrium Reflect 8. After installing the software you can
make a bootable Rescue disk on a usb flash drive.

I downloaded the Windows 11 V1 ISO Then I used Rufus Portable to make
Windows bootable installation media on a usb flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

I would do this now before Microsoft changes its policy & forces you
to be on the internet & sign up for a Microsoft Account or it will not
install if your using Home or Pro. They also may charge for Windows
in the future, you never know. I always disconnect from Internet when installing
Windows so I do not get all the garbage Apps on my system.

I did a clean install on my Laptop & Desktop After setting it up & getting
all the updates I made an image of Drives & then just Restored my Image of
Windows 10. For my Laptop & Desktop I use a 1 TB usb 3.0 WD Hard Drive for my
Backups.

I bought a TPM module for my Asus Workstaion Motherboard but I too only have
6th Gen Intel. I did not have to use any workarounds It installed no problem at all on my
desktop. My Laptop is fully compatible with Windows 11.

I now have 2 (Activated With A Digital License) Installs of Win 11 Pro

I used a .BAT file to Backup all my Drivers first then just restored them after install,
this saves a lot of time & you should definitly do this on a Laptop if doing a clean Install.