VirtualBox 7 is out, supports SecureBoot, TPM 2.0 and Windows 11

For those of you, like me, who have been waiting for VirtualBox to finally be able to support Windows 11, it finally can. (Now I can finally have a VM in the Windows Preview again.) It even seems to have the ability to read the Windows version out of an ISO and automatically install Windows for you (at least for Windows 11 anyway.)

I did have one oddity with a VM running Windows 10 with the guest additions installed. It told me an update was available, and I told the VM host to install the guest additions disc. I expected to do what I have done 100’s of times before, and launch them manually. Instead it took a long time and then the screen flashed and no error message, but no disc either. I though something was broken for quite some time… until I noticed that somehow the guest additions had magically been updated without interaction from me.

I also found a bug trying to upgrade a machine from Windows 10 to 11. When I tried to enable secure boot (for the upgrade DVD in the virtual drive) it gave me a weird error message with no actual error text. I never could manage to get that work.