Windows 10 update could be damaging your SSD

Anyone here heard of this issue before?

First I had heard of this - when I saw this article. If this has been mentioned on the forum, I must have missed it…

I hadn’t heard about this bug until now and can confirm this bug is live on my Win 10 Pro box.

Instead of only running defrag on my SSD once per month, Windows is doing it once per week. Clearly I wouldn’t want that happening for a decade, but having it happen for 4 months I doubt will cause any perceptible decrease in SSD lifetime for me or most other users.

If it was happening more frequently, e.g. daily, I’d disable the weekly automatic defrag until the patch comes out.

This article shows how to check event viewer for how often defrag is running.

This article has more general information on Windows SSD defrag.

1 Like

This is not much of a problem as all you need to do is change the setting to your preference.
Updating to 2004 reset lots of system settings to defaults.

The use of the word defragment is also misleading or an outright lie, as the Windows 10 disk optimiser runs TRIM on SSDs not a defrag.
Anyone already using another tool as replacement would not have seen this issue.
My system for example has old Auslogics defrag 8 set as the disk optimiser, so even though the windows one had set to each day it never kicked in.

Do I defrag my SSDs ?
Yes occasionally as it gains a lot of disk space.
As noted in the handy article posted above, the file system has to keep track of all these fragments, so the index for it will grow far bigger than actually needed.
As drives get bigger and people don’t tend to partition, the ratio of files easily handled in that space is changing.

1 Like

You are incorrect, defrag and trim are both performed by Windows on SSD’s. See Scott Hanselman’s article at the link provided for the details.

1 Like

Well it certainly does not defrag on my Win 10 (2004) system unless it can miraculously defrag within seconds and then refragment afterwards.
If you think it is doing a defrag then a scan with defraggler etc. would show that as being so.
You will also notice even this takes a lot longer to do than windows spends on “defragging” your SSD.

I have now manually started the OS optimise routine 3 times just to make sure. Each time it finishes in seconds.
Perhaps you can point out which bit of my SSD was defragmented, as I can’t see it

Per the linked articles, if it shows in event viewer as never running then that means you have system restore disabled. You really need to read the articles linked in this thread.

1 Like

Thats fine but entirely not the point at all.
eg. are you suggesting that if I enable system restore, that suddenly the optimise task will actually “DEFRAG” the drive.

The assumption here was that the drives will wear out faster due to excessive defrags.
TRIM command will not defrag the drive no matter how many times you do it, or the state of system restore.
Doing a TRIM command each day manually or automatically to reclaim sectors, will not harm your drive or wear it out.

I’m only suggesting you read the article’s from actual experts and then show us your experts who disagree with the linked article’s claims.

I’m not about to waste my time trying explain all the information and check procedures from the experts. The experts information all seemed clear to me and when I used the checks in the articles it showed that my PC’s exactly reflect the behavior they have claimed.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the “Optimize Drives” utility, the application is actually configured to analyze on a weekly basis. If that analysis determines that a TRIM op is needed, only then will it initiate the process.

As did back in day with spinning drives I just turned off disk optimizing. That happened because I found out in the Windows XP days that disk defragging was no logger needed. This update sounds like issue with BIOS based Windows 10 installs. My only Windows system is UEFI Only the rest are all MACs. I got an windows system since because none of the MACs had the power to run thing’s like my Chromakey, VR, 3D Design, and Blu-ray authoring software. Since they needed like 128GB of ram 300GB of hard disk and like 4tb on an 2nd internal drive for data.

Not sure who told you this, but defragging was still necessary on XP. They just refreshed the UI to make it seem like less of a chore.

You should also have disk optimization enabled today - while fragmentation has even less of a performance impact with the seek time of SSDs, disk optimization also includes the TRIM operation which is important to run to preserve the life and performance of the flash cells.

1 Like

knewman

I think you miss under sound me.