Windows 10 and Android on the same CPU instead of ARM and x86

There has been much discussion about the failure of Microsoft to implement Windows 10 on ARM or at least how slow their implementation runs.

About 5 years ago I purchased an elCheapo Chinese tablet - Chuwi Vi8 which has the form factor of a smaller iPad - 8".
I bought this one for $165.00 Australian. It came with a 32 GB solid state “drive” and sported an Intel ATOM Z3735F @1.33 GhZ CPU and 2gb memory.

Also the “SSD” is split into 2 x 16GB partitions. One ran windows 8.1 and the other runs Android. The screen is a 10 point touch and it had a slot for an external memory. So this simple tablet is capable of running both Android and Windows without the need for visualisation.

To use Android I use an app that makes some system settings and boots into Android. Same with switching back to Windows from Android. I have since upgraded this to Windows 10 v1909 and will update it to 2004 when it is ready.

Both windows and Android are snappy and work very well. So it really is a surprise why such chips like the Atom were not developed further instead of looking at ARM.After all this little tablet happily runs Windows 10 and Android on the same CPU and is very low on power usage.

I mostly use it to run my 3d Printer from the Android side and it works perfectly.

Of course the sound is crap but who cares. Don’t know if they make these dual boot tablets anymore.

If only Microsoft had looked at upgrading this Processor instead of looking at ARM, perhaps they would have a proper low power tablet that could run the whole day. Pity that.

1 Like

If you’re just using it to handle print jobs then this hardly gives a fair shakedown to the Windows side. Or really the Android side for that matter.

The power consumption numbers tell the whole story anyway. It’s truly the idle wattage figures that matter in real world usage. Qualcomm and their ilk measure it in mW. Intel certainly does not.

1 Like