What kind of block security do we need? Router vs device

Hello everyone

So I’m using mac, windows, iPhone, smart devices etc on same network router
And enabled Armor bitdefender trial on my netgear router
Now it wants $45 annual subscription fee

I have firefox focus on iphone
Adblock on both mac and windows and nextdns on windows( not sure if that’s a good idea)

But this Armor found a spam and malware a few times (from adds on some apps)

So my question would be if i need to have something like Armor on my router
Or is there a better solution for each device (other than browser) to protect everything from spams and malware
I know windows defender is good enough and mac is secure ( I don’t use chrome but unfortunately google forced me to use chromium edge)

I would add the additional question of whether or not CloudFlare’s 1.1.1.1 service matters for routers. Can’t a router just double your packets and send them to wherever else it wants? How in the world can a router truly be secured?! I recently bought a FreedomBox and am curious if that’s any better (pretty sure it is), but then there’s still the issue of the modem I use to connect to the Internet in the first place!

1 Like

Right now I’ve got these messages i know it comes from a soduku game

The question is should i be warned about it at all?
Should i pay for Armor?
Should i buy glasswire?
Adblockers only work on browsers and wont catch such attempt
What is your opinion

Exactly same for VPNs no matter how much they advertise them
I even don’t Get it for 3rd party password managers as they somehow store all data on their servers

1 Like

My first thought is burn that Sudoku game w/ fire. All you wanna do is play Sudoku right? That’s an awful lot of noise for something so simple. While you’re at it, you probably want to audit all the apps on your device.

I’ll usually tell people that they don’t need software subscriptions, just a head on their shoulders. Doing simple things like not installing suspect Sudoku games, and ignoring those spicy junk links about “what 1 weird thing they must do if they have diabetes” with a picture of a toe covered in peanut butter.

On top of that, change your router’s DNS settings to the Quad 9 service, or Cisco’s Umbrella free tier for a safety net. Both services actively update security blacklists and will not resolve URLs determined to be malicious.

1 Like

Most protection is self-aggrandizing to make you feel like you’d be naked without it. Unless you’re nearly a complete moron, if you care about safety, you probably can manage the basics to keep yourself safe. The biggest advice is to never open a file or click a link that came to you unsolicited. If it looks like something that could have come from a friend or family member, unless they’re responding to something you asked them for, assume they got compromised and contact them in person to confirm what the thing you received is all about. If you do just those things, you’ll probably avoid 90% of all problems. The remaining problems are not going to be blocked by a scanner because they will be too new for the scanner to recognize them until after it was too late.

1 Like

Lol :joy:
I am very self restricted on installing any apps or visiting websites and so careful on emails as well
Almost everything is too good to be true for me
No coupons, no eBay no nothing
And if google and youtube were not that annoying being monopole I wouldn’t install chromium edge either
But that app on my friend’s phone was a little alarming for me to see how apps may send info as ads like this and wondering if any other useful ( non game and entertainment apps) could be capable of doing so
And if i need to do anything about that as well

good to know thanks

Im not happy about nextdns on my windows although Leo suggested that so changing router’s dns to q9 or q1 is definitely a better idea