Vizio TV turns on by itself

Hello everyone: first post, don’t know if this is in the correct area…

Last month I bought a Vizio 55" model M557-GO smart TV. It occasionally powers on by itself. I’ve done the two recommendations I could find, but neither has helped. (I changed the batteries in the remote, and I set the TV to “Eco” mode).

Thoughts?

TIA,

Jan

1 Like

Possibly a neighbor with a Vizio TV remote that is triggering yours. Easy way to test is to cover the IR sensor on the TV with tape and see if it stops.

3 Likes

If you have any set top boxes, fire sticks etc then they can turn the TV on if they reboot / update themselves. Turning off hdmi-CEC might might stop that but you would lose the benefit of being able to turn on the TV with the STB remote.

6 Likes

My PVR cable box remote can occasionally turn on my Dyson Fan/Heater. There are only so many unique IR codes, so it could be a collision with some other IR device in your household.

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try turning off hdmi-CEC.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I hope this is not it however I used to have an LG tv that randomly would power itself off. I called LG and they sent a tech out and it turned out that they had to replace the main board and the power supply board.

Edit: I thought the original post said the TV turned off not on. Sorry. Misread that.

3 Likes

Some other HDMI-connected device over CEC is a likely suspect, as others mentioned. CEC can be a hot mess, with different companies’ devices.

Also, many Vizio devices create a wifi network – VizioSmartCast" or similar – to allow you to stream content to the device. Is it possible someone’s trying to connect to this network? These networks are impossible to disable – at least on soundbars.

1 Like