Virtual Credit Cards/Debit Cards

I want to make an online purchase without using my standard credit card. I don’t remember which ones Leo has referred to, but he has talked up a particular virtual credit card provider. Do any of you have intel on this? There’s a lot of them out there, so would appreciate a referral.

3 Likes

Not sure which ones @Leo might have suggested, but I did hear @mikahsargent (I think) do a “word from a sponsor” spot on a recent TNW episode that might be what you need … check out the sponsor link for “privacy” on the TNW episode link above.

2 Likes

Are you aware that many cards have the option to request a temporary credit card number? Most of the websites for different credit cards have that option on your account page. A 1 time use number

4 Likes

Bank of America had that option until relatively recently. They discontinued it saying that protections had gotten good enough that it wasn’t needed any longer. Personally I think the real reason was that they didn’t want to invest in replacing their flash-based app with a modern and secure alternative.

3 Likes

You can always use Cash app by Square or Privacy virtual cards. If your a capital one card holder you can use Enzo. Personally for me I use the cash app because it’s a simple way to transfer money and make purchases with one card.

4 Likes

I was real peeved when Discover took that feature away. Guess it’s a lot of overhead for them.

2 Likes

I use Cash and Simple for that too and I guess Venmo also offers a debit card now. I usually don’t leave much in those accounts unless I need to.

1 Like

I’ve been using Privacy.com for years and it is the greatest thing I’ve ever used! I use it for literally everything. All my recurring expenses, sketchy websites, etc. Downside is that it can only link to your checking account, not credit cards. Capital One has the Eno virtual card service that can link to credit cards.

6 Likes

I was a little nervous about tying it to my bank account, but tying it to a debit account was another option, so there’s another level of protection there. Super easy to set up, so now I have a way of buying some software from https://www.kinguin.net/ that I was uncomfortable exposing a real credit card too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simple and, I think Cash App now, will give you a bank account and routing numbers.

Just be aware that it works like a credit card but debits your bank account immediately like a debit card. Not that that is an issue, its just something be careful with so you don’t overdraw your account.

1 Like