Useless Poll of the Day: How many email addresses do you have?

Great tip!!! Thanks!!

I use this frequently, but it usually breaks on many sites because they won’t consider the plus sign to be a valid character for email addresses, or they have such bad coders that they don’t properly escape the plus sign in some internal URL (where the plus sign means a space in URL’s.)

Another trick with GMail is that period’s don’t really exist. These three email addresses are all the same: My.Email.Account@ My.EmailAccount@ MyEmailAccount@ The period is usually not problematic for web sites.

1 Like

I do exactly the same thing. That’s one of the nice things about using your own domain for email. I have a catchall folder for all those company@ messages.

5 Likes

I have 7 - six personal ones and one for work.

I also use a catchall for my own domain and give every business a unique address. I also sometimes find out about data breaches before they are public - See’s candies and istockphoto are a few that come to mind. I’ve also received free upgrades on rental cars because they thought I worked there. I feel it’s a bit more secure because a hacker would have to know my unique password AND email address.

2 Likes

@ThomasMNS I still have my first email address from when I was a kid too! I don’t use it…but I can’t seem to bring myself to dispose of it.

My first one was an MSN network email address. Long since gone. They used to be my dial up ISP

1 Like

My first email address was my university address in 1995. That was my first usage of the internet. Before that, I used netmail on a Fidonet BBS (no, I cannot remember my address).

They used to be my ISP too! MSN messenger was da bomb

Yes, it was convenient. And, one of the few national dialups (at the time) that had a local phone number.

I actually worked as a chat host in 1 section on MSN for a while. It was kinda fun.

I have six that I still use but I also know I have at least two more that are from the good old days but I don’t remember the passwords! And I really don’t care about them anymore…they’ve probably been closed.

I remember reading that [address]@googlemail.com is always an alias for [address]@gmail.com, so that might provide some more alternates.