Ugh. The dreaded Google photo ban

I was listening to TWIT (and TWIG) a week or two back, when they were discussing the father who got his Google account banned for sending the doctor medical related images.

Not nearly on the same level, but I recently started a boudior business. I don’t show nudity on the site (if you want to see those images, you have to request access). So a few months back, I claimed my Google business page, and went to spruce it up, like you do. Google didn’t like the images I tried to share, and, rather than just saying “no, this is a little too racy for what we think should be found on our site”, they just banned me from sharing any images. At all.

I discovered this when I tried to post a picture of autumn leaves, and it told me I couldn’t. Why not, I asked.

“We regret to inform you that we can’t approve your posts and photos as your photo contributions violate our Maps User Content policies. This removal is permanent. It will not affect other services associated with your Google account, however, you are no longer able to contribute imagery/local posts and photos.”

This is basically a zero strike policy, as I have never successfully posted an image with Google Maps Business Feature. Google has the technology to say “this doesn’t meet our [rather vague and open to interpretation] policy. Tough luck. While we are able to tell you which images don’t meet our policy and have the technology in place to block these images from going up online, we will just prevent you from posting images ever again, rather than let you know what you did to violate our policy.”

Of course, if I search for photos using my name, they pop up in Google search just fine, but let me try and post a picture of some dag-gum trees (when in Ant-land, swear like @ant_pruitt …), and no can do. Makes it hard to use Google’s business facing features…

Not a fan of Google atm…

1 Like

This makes no sense. Yikes. :man_facepalming:t5:

I can see why Google wouldn’t one images that where “racy” in the public facing google maps/google my business searches. However, a zero strike policy isn’t fair either. I personally feel there should be a way to appeal it but I’m not google. Anyways as Ant said: Yikes. I wish you the best of luck on your business however.

2 Likes

That is the problem with big tech, it thinks big and ignores the “little” problems, like people actually having complaints.

We got DOSed by a Google server. Abuse & administration email accounts gave auto-answers “this account receives so many emails that they are automatically deleted and not read”.

Ok, try phoning them, went around their system for 20 minutes, with a voice telling me every 10 second that it is quicker to go to the appropriate page of their website. There was no page on their website dealing with malconfigured Google servers DOSing you.

Even their Twitter account didn’t respond.

In the end, it was easier to go to our ISP and get the Google IP address blocked at the border of the ISP - they weren’t too happy that Google was trying to shove over 1gpbs down a 10mbps pipe to our offices either.

1 Like

Talked to another photographer who had a video set to private on youtube for three years, when suddenly, boom. No account. Again, feels a little over-punitive.

There’s a number of photographers I know (boudoir, fine art, etc) who are getting really frustrated with Google and Facebook right now. Just thought I’d mention it as possible fodder for future stories. Maybe something about alternative apps (but how do you find clients there), about some of the hurdles with working in a genre that celebrates who we are as people…something like that.