TWIT 894: Juking the Stats

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

The Watch safety and tracking feature is very pertinent this week. Somebody in Germany last week went trekking in the mountains near Ramsau. He got caught up in a snowstorm and managed to get off an emergency call, but since then, nobody has heard from him.

The weather became so bad, they had to call off the search. They used a helicopter to fly over the area, which would pick up electrical devices buried in the snow and signals, but they found nothing. The assumption is, that he fell after making the emergency call and either his phone was destroyed or the battery was dead by the time the weather had cleared enough to resume searching for him.

These devices are great, as long as you have power…

Trekkers are being told to ensure they carry a 1st aid kit, hat, gloves, winter jacket & sturdy shoes in their backpack, as well as a powerbank, to ensure they can recharge their smartphone in an emergency.

Edit: It is also being said that a lot of problems are being caused by trekking apps, which recommend routes, but the routes are often registered by experienced climbers and trekkers and “Sunday trekkers” see a 5 star “medium” route and are then out of their depth, because it quickly becomes a very steep climb or very hazardous for the inexperienced trekker.

Also, some set off in t-shirt, shorts and either trainers or deck shoes and then wonder why they get into difficulty, when they suddenly find they have reached the snow line or they have to cross slippery terrain, where it would be no problem in trekking shoes/boots, but trainers or deck shoes are just downright dangerous.

Great show. I think Shelley needs to be added to the regular TWiT rotation.

3 Likes

I think that Lisa’s Apple TV was clearing the cache of the YouTube app maybe

I have found, of late, GMail is allowing phishing messages through at a tremendous rate. They usually have my userID with a brand name (like Walmart, FedEx, etc) and some sort of “claim” or “retrying to send” or “refund”.

Here’s some sample header:

reply-to:	reply@bcagtreea.beauty
to:	pholde <_removed_@gmail.com>
date:	23 Sept 2022, 14:27
subject:	PHOLDE}♦ UPS: Your Order Has Shipped!
mailed-by:	bcagtreea.beauty
Signed by:	bcagtreea.beauty
security:	bcagtreea.beauty did not encrypt this message

or

to:	_removed_@gmail.com
cc:	_removed_@gmail.com
date:	21 Sept 2022, 14:07
subject:	Confirmation! 6_removed_6
mailed-by:	elixr.com.au
security:	Standard encryption (TLS)

and here are pictures of what each looks like in the browser (Firefox):

Also here’s headers from another that visually looks just like the first one above:

from: American-Airlines-Winner <Z_removed_M@thurionet.co.uk>
 reply-to: reply@thurionet.co.uk
 to: pholde <_removed_@gmail.com>
 date: 22 Sept 2022, 13:16
 subject: PHOLDE You have won an $500 American Airlines Gift Card
 mailed-by: thurionet.co.uk
 Signed by: thurionet.co.uk
 security: maxencrunch.biz did not encrypt this message

I am getting these at the rate of at least 5 to 10 A DAY!

1 Like

It if the same with Outlook/Hotmail.

The Backtrack feature is on all Apple Watches with WatchOS 9.

Just select the compass app.

2 Likes

Didn’t Star Trek the Motion Picture - Director’s Edition come out back in March '22? Or is this yet another version?

My Apple TV version has had the 4k Director’s Edition option for awhile.

The 4K DIsc was released last week. Includes special features, some new, some old, and commentaries, again some new, some old. With the right player there should be no compression that you can get from streaming like on Paramount+ and Apple Movies.

With regard to 911 routing for employees working from home, here in Germany, it is more than just that.

It is accident insurance - if an employee injures themselves while working from home, it is a workplace accident. If I fall down the stairs coming from my bedroom to the kitchen to make breakfast, it is a home accident, if I fall down the stairs going into the home office, it is a work place accident.

Likewise, health and safety covers the home office, the employer can only let you work from home if the home office is fit for purpose - a dedicated space with height adjustable desk, height adjustable office chair, external, height adjustable monitor, external (ergonomic) keyboard and ergonomic mouse. If you don’t have those, you can’t work in home office, until your employer has provided them to you and ensured they are set-up.

If you then decide to sit on the couch with the laptop, that is your problem, but if they don’t do that, they are liable for back pain, RSI etc. This makes it a much higher hurdle to working in home office than in the USA, I would think.

There are some exceptions, if it is a government mandated lockdown, the rules don’t apply, for example, but if the employer is letting employees work voluntarily from home, they have to ensure the workspace fulfills all the H&S requirements. I was lucky, I had just upgraded my office at home with ergonomic desks and a new chair, so I could switch into home office.

How a company is supposed to manage the logistics is not covered in the legislation. That means they have to organise the evaluation of the workspace, the delivery of any furniture and equipment that isn’t already there and, when the employee leaves, to collect it all again and ensure it is in appropriate condition; if it is 2 months old and trashed, the employee can expect to see an invoice for the damage…