TWIT 867: That's Not a TikTok, It's a Podcast

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Re: the rest of the industry responding to the hybrid architecture of the M1. Isn’t this exactly what the new open UCIe standard discussed on the always wonderful FLOSS Weekly 672, is supposed to enable? Basically the entire chip industry (except for Apple) is represented in that promo. Imagine x86 chiplets connected to an ARM chiplet, and oh, by the way, through an open standard.

@Ohdoctah was saying the industry would have to create an Avengers-esque team to respond. Here it is, let’s see what happens.

As someone who still prefers to buy CDs, though not exclusively, part of it is the “like a T-shirt” aspect. Often you can get them signed too.

The other part of this is that I don’t care for music streaming services at all, and still prefer to just buy the music. CDs are exceptionally good for this because they are still lossless can easily be ripped to a lossless FLAC file. You can buy FLAC of course but CDs are often cheaper. Plus, in mybexperience, the experience of buying lossless music is just kind of, all over the place, between the few digital stores that sell them.

A lot of it is still, that CD will still be there in 20-30 years. I still have my first CDs from the early 90s.

1 Like

All my CDs have been ripped and are in the attic, they just take up too much space. The same with my DVDs, I stopped buying them about a decade ago, because there was just no more space, which meant traipsing into the cellar to the cupboards of DVDs, looking for the one I wanted to watch.

Streaming does have its benefits, in terms of storage alone.

3 Likes

I rip all my DVDs and recently started ripping the blurays, but yes streaming is a lot cheaper.

2 Likes

What software do you use for the blurays? I have a few I should add to my library. The bluray player went up in the attic years ago. Same as doing DVDs?

1 Like

I use makemkv. From there you can use Handbrake to compress/transcode.

1 Like

I don’t have a powerful enough CPU to compress :frowning: my videos are hosted on an old laptop, second gen i5 .

I might bite and compress once the 2tb is full, which should be soon. :laughing:

Here is an example of physical media price over streaming:
Paramount+ is $10 a month in the US
Star Trek Enterprise is $70

That’s 7 months of streaming where I get access to several shows not just enterprise.

I made the purchase b
Of the physical media because I hate that blinding eye exam blue screen when I open P+ and they always show an Ad in front of their videos even if paying for the no AD service.

It really depends on who you are I guess… I’m aiming to have all start trek series in physical media and store them in one of those 200 CD binders, takes up less space. The movies and other disks will be ripped.

I’m ok with paying for Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+, but three is the max for me. I can afford others, but I don’t want to. :laughing:

I use this drive on my laptop to rip movies you own, you can also rip UHD disks.
BDR-XD07UHD

1 Like

Fun tip. If your media is in a shared folder, you can use any machine to process the compression. I just figured that out compressing 6 seasons of Community blu-ray to x265. Though my Ryzen 2600 can certainly handle it, it would’ve taken about a day per season. So I let my M1 MBP take half it, worked like a charm.

We purchased Community because we were looking to get rid of Amazon Prime due to their price hike. However our annual renewal came in right before the hike, so we’ll keep it one more year. Though it was my wife’s idea to drop (I wanted to do it sooner), she’s a huge LOTR fan so we’ll enjoy that show in the fall. I’d happily get rid of Netflix, but that’s all my kid watches.

I think I have just as much fun curating my physical media library in Plex than I do consuming it. All extras, deleted scenes, audio commentary, seasonal playlists. I wish I had a few more knobs and labels, but still.

We do password share with my parents. But I think between us, we’re not heavy users and have enough accounts spread out that I wonder if we would even be on their radar.

Yeah, the hardware investment for a locally maintained content can be steep if I don’t want it to take days, but I do have a newer i3 somewhere around here I can see how long it takes to compress a movie.

I’ll need to spend some time investigating this.

If laptop server is on a Linux distro, you might also consider experimenting with filesystem-level compression. E.g. attach a backup drive formatted with btrfs or zfs and an inexpensive compression algorithm like lz4 compression and just copy some files over. It may give good results, or it may not. From what I hear, lz4 compression is not too expensive, and I’m running a btrfs, lz4-compressed filesystem on my laptop with a similar chip without any noticable downgrade. But I’m sure it depends a lot on the specifics.

Anyway, this might be an interesting middle ground where you gain some space savings without running everything through handbrake.

1 Like

Not knowing the specifics of your hardware, most intel chips have a feature called Quick Sync. Enabling that in Handbrake should give you quicker transcodes, though I believe the file sizes will be slightly larger than if it wasn’t enabled. It’s worth experimenting with.

1 Like

If you have an Nvidia video card of a recent vintage you can also check into the NVENC video encoder that is specific to their hardware.

1 Like

I’ll see if the laptop has quick sync, to but the newer PC should… Thank you so for the suggestions here.

The media laptop is running windows.

So my media PC has a 2nd gen i5 witch does not have any hardware acceleration for encoding.

Another laptop I have has a 7th gen i5, so running handbrake there gets me a movie re-encoded in about an hour. Went from 29gb to 9gb, this is the blu-ray of Alien.

I need to check a few things, but thanks everyone for the tips.

1 Like

IMO the real loser in the broadcast business are the local affiliates of CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox, who are now suffering from their networks going direct to consumer with their most anticipated shows.

I think it is fair to say the ABC station in Tulsa would love to air Wandavision and Mandalorian, but those were determined to be the anchor properties of Disney+ instead of going to broadcast.

ABC still has its legacy properties, but who really watches the 17th season of “Roseanne” “The Conners”? The ratings say 0.4% of Americans age 18-49 watched that show last week. Those would have been shockingly bad ratings even 10 years ago, but they were middle of the pack for March 2022.

UCIe standard is 1/4 the interconnect speed at best.

1 Like

Do you have a good source for that claim? I see bandwidth claims of ~2.5TB/s for the M1 interconnects (I think they’re calling it UltraFusion?) and 1.3TB/s from the reporting on the standard. It’s also not clear how these relate to actual performance scenarios, since it seems like these numbers scale somehow with die size.

I’m not a chip person at all, but I find these announcements really interesting—especially the implications that the UCIe folks might create a consortium to iterate on the standard which is essentially an Intel creation.

Edit: This is all that I have so far: an article going over some specs for UCIe and this random article I found on UltraFusion.