Itunes eliminating music downloads

EDIT - The news story I linked to was old, but this is still a very real problem coming up for us Windows users apparently.

No more music downloads thru Itunes - very soon. What do you guys think? This was my preferred way to buy music.

Oops, you are right. I would swar I heard Leo talk about this on last weeks The Tech Guy when someone called in… Unless I heard it somewhere else. So, I went looking for news on it.

I do see several stories that claims that Apple is pulling the plug on Apple Itunes music downloads (in favor of streaming). But, yes… All the stories are old… I couldn’t find anything recent…

I remember hearing recently that Apple was pulling buying and downloads for Windows Itunes but Apple devices would still have access or something like that. I didn’t really pay that much attention because I don’t use Itunes for purchases so.

Here is where @Leo talked about it last weekend:
https://techguylabs.com/episodes/1669/what-going-happen-windows-itunes

1 Like

Yes, that is what I heard… Downloads of Itunes music disappearing for Windows.

This really sucks. It is 1 of the few things I still use my Windows PC for (otherwise I use Chrome). This is how I buy all my music

1 Like

I know, but since they separated Itunes into 3 different apps on mac devices and decided not to really keep Windows Itunes up to date that’s kind of what happens I guess. The good news is you will still have access to what you have bought at least for now.

1 Like

I liked Itunes over Google and Amazon because they let you hear 90 seconds of the song instead of 30 seconds. It is unfortunate. I don’t want to do their streaming service. I would rather own the music

1 Like

Completely agree, I would rather own it as well

1 Like

Every person’s use case is different. Depends on how much music you listen to. If you wanted to try to stay caught up with the top singles in a year, you will spend more money buying them then you would on just renting them at $120 (or less) per year for a Spotify/Deezer/Google Play/Youtube/whatever sub. If you’re ever going to want to feel experimental on music, checking out new musicians you don’t normally purchase, then the subscription is just way cheaper all the way around.

I have 2000+ CDs from the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s before I started buying on iTunes (and listening on an iPod.) Eventually I realized I almost never listen to any of it any more… so I figured there was no point having access to music I wasn’t listening to. My brother ended up subscribing to Google Play Music for $15/mo for the family plan, and I got to tag on as a family member. (So free in some sense, but I always shoot him some money now and then.) I don’t actually use it very often, to be honest, because what is missing is quality playlists. Most of the time I find I like terrestrial radio (via TuneIn) because then I get a decent form of a playlist.

TL;DR: I think the biggest issue is choosing what music to play, whether you own it or rent it. If you’re going to own it, make sure you budget time to make and manage playlists.

1 Like

I listen to a lot of older music constantly on my ipod in my car. I don’t buy much current music - but sometimes older artists release something new. And, sometimes I just hear a new tune and I like it enough to buy that 1 song.

I too had tons of CDs, but digitized them all long ago.

I already listen to the news on Sirius XM on my phone a lot - and I only get 8GB of data per month. I already hit between 7.5-8gb of use a month. I can’t add streaming music to the pile too. Plus, I don’t keep all my music on my Ipod - I take off stuff that I am tired of and don’t necessarily wanna hear on shuffle.

I guess I’ll be buying MP3s off of amazon soon

I’m curious…after ripping, do you still save the CDs or throw them away/donate to family?

I have a ton of CDs I’ve ripped and saved in several locations so I’m not worried about losing access and I’m very tempted to just pass the CDs on to someone that would like to have them…but! Every time I say I’m going to do this, I get a bit squiggly and chicken out! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I haven’t bought a CD in ages. I don’t think I’ve bought more than three songs in the last couple of years. My kids and grandkids don’t own CDs and stream everything. The only people I know that still buy music are old folks like me!

I get squiggly because, technically, ripping the CDs and keeping the digital files, and not the atoms, is a violation of the license you agreed to when purchasing the CDs.

1 Like

I heard the same thing on the Tech Guy podcast but I think the caller was referencing out of date information and Leo just failed to correct him.

Really, I’m required to keep the CDs as physical media…forever? You are probably right.
Would I be expected to delete all digital copies if my physical CDs melted or broke?

I am not a lawyer, so I don’t claim to have a legal opinion. All I know is what my common sense tells me. And, let’s be clear… I don’t think the RIAA is going door to door auditing anyone. But the theory with the music license is to treat it like a paper book. You can’t loan your friend your favourite book and also keep reading it yourself. So if you keep the files but destroyed the atoms, all you’re missing is proof of originally owning the right to the files. If you keep the files and SOLD the atoms, now you know you’re violating the license… because you’re still enjoying them and also know someone else is, and you also profited in the process.

3 Likes