How do you prefer to acquire content: digital download versus physical media?

Hey everyone just wondering who uses digital over physical media and as I have an Apple TV and purchased a good chunk of movies and tv but here stories her and there the same old you don’t own it and they can take away at anytime so is this as serious as it sounds. Should we still be using physical and who has Apple or google or the like and had missing items in libraries

• Apple store
  • Google store
  • Amazon store
  • Blu-ray and 4K uhd Blu-ray
  • DVD
  • VHS
  • Download and other

0 voters

1 Like

You gotta fix your poll dude!

I have no problem buying movies digitally however usually I’ll just rent. If I really want a movie (which is almost never) I’ll buy a Blu-Ray. I own Harry Potter and LOTR and a few others but owning movies isn’t important to me.

I’ll rent new movies using Google Play when I wanna see something thats not on my streaming services.

2 Likes

Fixed poll. Every time you try to do one they never work unless you remove part of the code afterwards where it should automatically,

I mostly stream or download but also like to purchase on Apple the movies or shows that I would normally buy in physical form and put on shelf but now wondering if throwing money away doing that for contract for a movie Apple may take back at any time

2 Likes

Yes I know what you mean especially with Google’s reputation for pulling the plug on stuff. I do own some digital titles and almost always because I got some sort of Google Play rewards.

Renting I’m totally cool with. I’m totally fine with paying $2-5 to see a new movie in HD in my living room. I also get a $2 rental at least once a month from Google as well.

1 Like

We usually rent movies/TV episodes from Apple if they aren’t available on one of our streaming services. If it’s a major series (LOTR/Hobbit, HP, etc.) or film with lots of bonus docs/features or maybe a classic movie that we’ll watch over and over, we’ll buy it on Blu-ray. Haven’t had much of a pulled content problem yet, thankfully.

1 Like

Another thought is all the movies or shows on streaming services like Netflix for example will most likely never be released on say Blu-ray or dvd so what’s the thought on how these will last or age if no way to purchase and preserve

1 Like

Two days ago, I would have answered digital as I purchased a number of movies from Vudu.

Yesterday - after hearing that WalMart was looking to sell Vudu - I am reevaluating that decision. With the demise of Ultraviolet, the digital locker service that Vudu was a part of, and now Vudu itself looking like it’s going away - I have some real concerns. I’m really tired of the digital services not only being silos (Movies Anywhere being something of an exception) but effectively making my library subject to their whims.

I’m at the point where I’m only going to buy digital-only movies for the ones I don’t really care about should they be lost.

1 Like

I hear ya completely but I also think out of all companies and services to trust keeping there media and not shutting down any time soon is Apple/ ITunes compared to most other companies that offer media or contracts to hold. Digital copy of a piece of media
And there’s also downloading the but then storage and how to play full 4K movies with 20-30 gb sizes and play like a Blu-ray with hdr without having a big gaming or media rig so guess for the time being I’m tied to paying for the contracts to hope the few movies and shows I’ve purchased don’t leave my library any time soon

1 Like

I clicked Blu-ray, but then realized that is only for movies. Other things like books I prefer a digital download (Audible), or game books for D&D, PDF is my preferred format. If I could get an unencrypted movie download I would, but until then I get the disk and rip to my server.

1 Like

I use to have vhs then dvd then went to the hd dvd and Blu-ray saga followed by Blu-ray being the in and so I purchased a handful but were always very pricey at first so went to android tv then Apple TV and bought digital. Partly due to Blu-ray and now Blu-ray uhd 4K releases that requires new hardware and from what I’ve read most are not much different from normal Blu-ray.

1 Like

For movies - I don’t mind streaming to rent. When I buy a movie - I prefer the Blu-Ray. But, I like when they give you the free digital download with it. But, I like to own something physical.

Music - I no longer buy CDs. I just download the music. But then I back it up in 3 or 4 places. Years ago when I had a Zune, the Microsoft software would just go about renaming files, and I had it actually delete some music too. That was frustrating. Now, I keep multiple copies of the music files

1 Like

I have seen the Xbox one plays 4K uhd Blu-ray so that would be the best option for a Blu-ray Player currently it’s just I have bought over 20 movies and shows and don’t want to buy them again especially since 4K Blu-ray are more expensive and I digital is great other then the thought you could go and have your library taken offline just like that is worry some

Although for example Apple TV+ shows. Would never be on Blu-ray or dvd yet cannot purchase either so they are lost and same as Netflix big films or shows that will just disappear once lost in the catalogue like the newest Jim Henson movie on Netflix would be great for a physical copy what on Netflix so what those are lost in the digital age?

1 Like

Now for everyone that’s uses Blu-ray 4K uhd discs which is your favorite player or would something like an Xbox play 4K Blu-rays just as good

1 Like

That’s a good point. I’d like to buy some Netflix movies hardcopy.

2 Likes

I used to be physical media - I have around 1,500 CDs and over 2,500 DVDs and a few Blu-ray discs. But I haven’t bought a single film in the last decade. We watch normal FTA TV and Amazon Prime.

1 Like

I had hundreds of music CDs in boxes in my closet. Just sitting there for years after I digitized them… A few years ago, I finally sold them on eBay over the course of a few months. Some were out of print, and I even got $60 to $100 for some particular ones. And that was used.

2 Likes

I guess I’m going to be a killjoy, but you do realize (by the terms of the license they were to sold to you under) that when you sold them, you technically gave up your rights to own the digitized copies?

1 Like

Yeah @Mistershipwreck. Turn yourself into the authorities.

Oh, did I say that - I meant that I loaned them out :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I ditched my physical content other than a few blu-rays when we down-sized to this house. So 100% streamed now, a few rentals from whoever has it cheaper out of Amazon and Google. My vinyl is still somewhere in mum’s attic :grinning: Must get that…

Still undecided on music streaming. Got trials running on Amazon and Tidal at the mo.

1 Like