TWIG 721: Why Would Google Do That?

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I will have to try Google Maps when we visit the US, in Europe it’s awful get better direction on an iPad with Apple maps

1 Like

I have to agree, Google Maps has never really been useful. The only times I’ve gotten lost are when I tried to use GM.

I use Apple Maps maybe 2-3 times a year.

1 Like

I find Waze to be better than Google maps which is odd because they owned by same company. I prefer Here maps, but Android auto is cr@p and it won’t work in the car

1 Like

Batteries - it is so that you can replace the battery when it dies, without having to send it off to an official repair service.

For example, my nearest Apple Store is an 8 hour round trip, plus the time getting the battery replaced, or if I send it in, Apple have a 2 week turn around to get the device back to me.

It would be much simpler to order a new battery and just slot it in myself.

Also, don’t forget that we are generally in a ratified position, where we replace our phones every couple of years. Most people I know expect a phone to last between 6 and 10 years.

Underwear: I/we probably wash out underwear once a week or so… It takes that long to get a machine load together. That said, I do have around 20 pairs of underwear, so I change them every day.

Musk & Twitter: I don’t see any of Musk’s tweets, I don’t think I’ve seen one in a couple of months.

Does it have to be an Apple store, though? What about a third-party, Apple-certified repair shop?

That is the send it off and wait 2 weeks option.

An ex-colleague runs a business doing battery swaps, but new iPhone are difficult and expensive, because of the parts being serial number locked to a device and things like touch and Face ID not working, if the reader or camera get disconnected from the Secure Enclave during the repair.

Chromebook X??? It already exists, it’s called a Windows Notebook, very suitable for games and thousands of other things, you would have to be a total Google nut to want an expensive Chromebook!

The only thing I can see it doing is fragmenting the market and apps that need the new powerhouse systems won’t run on the low end systems and users will get annoyed/frustrated. Developers are renowned for creating apps that use 110% of the available resources…

That is crazy. I have at least two Apple-certified repair shops within a 15-minute drive that offer same-day repairs for batteries and screens. There’s also Best Buy, which offers same-day repairs.

Last time I had a problem with a new (1 week old) iPhone, it went to the Apple approved repair centre, 2 week wait, no fault found, 1 day use, locked up again, 2 week wait, no fault found, locked up again, while I was still in the shop.

I was loud this time and lo and behold, they found faulty RAM and replaced the phone 2 weeks later.

Since then, there are 2 new shops, one in Hanover and one in Hamburg, both around 4 hours away, due to traffic and roadworks.

Do we not want things that we can replace ourselves? Maybe this will force Apple to design their phones in a way that is more environmentally friendly so that users can replace the battery. As for @MikeElgan recommending Google Photos and then feeling betrayed that they took away the unlimited storage… you should have known better. Even if it weren’t Google, nobody would be able to afford to offer truly unlimited photos - I know storage is cheap, but not THAT cheap

1 Like

It sounds like there is a potential business opportunity in your area. :upside_down_face:

Apple could afford it, but they would rather join the long list of AR/VR losers :grin:

There are dozens of repair shops in the area, for Android, and for unofficial Apple repairs, but no guarantee they use original parts or that the Secure Enclave will still work afterwards.

Those that offer official Apple service send them to the authorised Apple repair centres, with the 2 week wait

Apple Maps works well for walking directions, especially when paired with an Apple Watch. I find Google Maps to have more accurate business information (hours of operation, for example). Reviews are also better in Google Maps and Apple Maps still rely on Yelp which isn’t great.

1 Like

To me the most important thing a mapping program can do is give directions, and Google fails on that count over here

2 Likes

I think I’m finally on-board with Apple Maps for directions just about 100% of the time (I’m in the northeast US, near NYC), but Google still has significantly better POI data and I prefer their integrated reviews over Apple’s reliance on Yelp.

1 Like

Just for you Stacy.