TWIG 716: It's Pronounced Papyri

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

How I extrapolate cacio e pepe is made, based on knowing the ingredients and the name and nothing else:

1. Soak rotini noodles in room-temperature water until soft
  2. Grate cheddar cheese on top of the noodles
  3. Microwave for 2-3 minutes
  4. Sprinkle pepper and/or diced bell pepper on top
  5. Stir

Right? :grin:

I have nothing to add as I have no experience with it, but Wikipedia seems to imply that you may have cut a few corners in your “fast and easy at home” (aka, student cooking :wink: ) approach :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, this is why a recipe is helpful :laughing:

…No. That’s Ben “Sckoon…” :joy:

I am. Intrigued by the paying $100+ for broadband, what do you get for this??

1 Like

The US do seem to pay a lot for broadband and mobile plans. Our family there are always amazed I pay £10 for a mobile contract and £20 for broadband.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m “overpaying” for mobile at the moment (20€ a month for unlimited talk and SMS and 20GB data at full speed, slowed to 1mbps after that, or I pay for a boost, for the 3-4GB I actually use, I could drop to 9€ a month) and we just switched to fibre at home, I’ve currently got 300/100mbps and pay 30€ a month, going to gigabit would have been 100€, which just wasn’t worth the price difference (the price also includes voice flat rate for national calls to landlines and mobile and 5 landline numbers), given that, apart from the odd download, I just need stable streaming for video calls and 4K streaming.

My daughter and her husband have bought a new place and they can’t get broadband at the moment, so they have an LTE router and a pay-as-you-go SIM and pay 30€ a month for unlimited data (they can stream Netflix/Disney etc. 24/7 without hitting a data limit). Again, I think they only get 50mbps where they live (a little rural), but it is more than enough for a couple of video streams.

1 Like

Youre all in Germany?

Yes. Daughter and her husband have bought a house about 4km from us, we can walk or ride one, although they live on top of the local hill, so a steep climb at the end of the journey.

Downhill All the way home though

1 Like

Lemme generate a quote from Bell Canada for fibre. I think Canadians pay one of the highest mobile and ISP data rates in the world :frowning:

It’s a three dot-page thing, so this is going to be wide, but hopefully it’s legible

Also, NOTE, the prices there are discounted from actual price, and there is fine print:
Enjoy a credit of $10/mo for 2 years. Prices may increase during subscription

So you don’t get any TV or streaming included with that?

The fastest we can get at home at the moment is an 80Mb.it is unlimited, fixed IP and comes in at £26/month. Fibre to the premise has been laid, but is not available yet and supposedly will be 300Mb at £45/month.

I suppose in fairness it is a way smaller country so we have less installation distance to aggregate across customers

1 Like

Bell is the ILEC, so they used to offer ADSL, but have been spending the last decade upgrading/replacing it with fibre. In Canada we have about three choices for ISP. Bell is one, a cable company, usually Rogers, is another, and then there is a WISP. There is no proof of collusion, of course, but it’s pretty much the case that a triple play like Internet, land line phone and TV, will always end up finding it’s way to $250, no matter which of the three you choose to go with. So if you go for a bundle of some sort, they’ll offer a new customer discount, that will get it down to $200 with monthly discounts that expire in 6 months to 2 years. If you replace the land line with a mobile phone in the triple play, or if you add in an alarm monitoring system, it’s going to run you $300+ a month once your discounts end.

Same here. Prices I’ve been given are £20/40Mbps, £25/150Mbps, £30/300Mbps, £35/600Mbps and £40/900Mbps. Not bad. All the fibre has been in for a while but seems to be taking ages to go live.

1 Like