TTG 1631 for 29 Sept 2019

New show today. Leave your comments and/or questions here.

Now that we’re using Comrex instead of ISDN, let me know how the show sounds on your radios. (This should change anything in the podcast or live stream.)

Today’s Sermon: Do You Really Want to Live in the Metaverse?

1 Like

Looks like the new forum is going to be awesome!
Ready for the show.

I love the metaverse, as long as I don’t have to use my (dormant) Facebook account for it. Got an Oculus Quest on day one. For some reason my brain is fine with the vergence accommodation conflict and also the motion sickness. So hoooray, I guess?

I have an older version of Lightroom. Do you think it’s still good to use I’m a beginner? I don’t want to pay for a Subscriptions.

I don’t know why Facebook can’t put legs on their VR characters. How you show characters standing instead of floating is the same in 3D as it is in 2D: show shadows cast on the ground. Second Life did it, Somnium Space will do it… So why not Facebook? That said, I’m looking forward to both Somnium Space and Facebook Horizon, and I wish Sansar (the Second Life for VR) was compatible with Oculus Quest.

Here’s the crazy Facebook Horizon video.

1 Like

What’s the link to the Canoe Car Company?

I have an older version of Lightroom. Do you think it’s still good to use I’m a beginner? I don’t want to pay for a Subscription.

Maybe it’s an animation saving thing, but then they are using four-finger hands…

1 Like

The Cult of Done Manifesto

1. There are three states of being.
  2. Not knowing, action and completion.
  3. Accept that everything is a draft. It helps to get it done.
  4. There is no editing stage.
  5. Pretending you know what you’re doing is almost the same as knowing what you are doing, so just accept that you know what you’re doing even if you don’t and do it.
  6. Banish procrastination. If you wait more than a week to get an idea done, abandon it.
  7. The point of being done is not to finish but to get other things done.
  8. Once you’re done you can throw it away.
  9. Laugh at perfection. It’s boring and keeps you from being done.
  10. People without dirty hands are wrong. Doing something makes you right.
  11. Failure counts as done. So do mistakes.
  12. Destruction is a variant of done.
  13. If you have an idea and publish it on the internet, that counts as a ghost of done.
  14. Done is the engine of more.Manifesto Design Cult Of Done Creativity Making

Bre Pettis

2 Likes

Thanks for this new forum!
(Back on techguylabs.com/episodes there wasn’t anywhere to comment on parts of the show that weren’t caller questions.)

1 Like

@Leo I was listening to the call about 5G… and what you were saying wasn’t accurate. You’re conflating 5G and Mw spectrum. 5G does not require “4X the cell towers”… but Mw spectrum does. People seems to assume that all 5G is Mw because that’s what AT&T and Verizon are doing but it’s not… T-Mobile 5G for example will be nationwide on 600Mhz and have great coverage and building penetration. Sprint I believe is doing midband.

Is this how we’re supposed to use the forum? I don’t want to sound snarky or anything.

1 Like

This is the problem with the term “5G” - it’s a marketing term, not a technical term. For example, T-Mobile’s 600Mhz works on my iPhone 11 Pro Max already, even though no one would consider that a 5G phone and even T-Mobile calls it LTE.

Apple’s latest iPhone taps into our newest, most powerful signal, 600 MHz — no signal goes farther or is more reliable,” said John Legere, CEO at T-Mobile. “Customers with 600 MHz smartphones — like the new iPhone — get 52% more LTE coverage.

I understand that 5G doesn’t require millimeter wave frequencies, but I believe that’s how most carriers are going to implement it. And won’t a 5G phone have to support mmW? Or am I wrong?

2 Likes

4G is a marketing term, 4G LTE is a 3GPP standard.

5G is a marketing term, 5G NR is a 3GPP standard.

Sprint and T-Mobile are both implementing 5G that’s NOT mmW too, and it’s my understanding that others will eventually too.

My concern is that telling people that all 5G has short range and poor penetration just isn’t so. That’s a spectrum issue not an issue with the 5G NR standard.

1 Like

You [quote=“Leo, post:14, topic:94”]
This is the problem with the term “5G” - it’s a marketing term, not a technical term. For example, T-Mobile’s 600Mhz works on my iPhone 11 Pro Max already, even though no one would consider that a 5G phone and even T-Mobile calls it LTE.
[/quote]

You’re conflating the terms again. Your iPhone 11 (as well as last years) supports 4G LTE on 600Mhz (band 71) not 5G NR. T-Mobile does not have 5G NR on 600Mhz (yet), and when it does your iPhone will not support it because it doesn’t have a 5G NR radio.

Sorry to argue with you, just want to make sure you’re giving out accurate info!

How about I tell them that 5G is a joke and under no circumstances should they buy a 5G phone until they see proof it’s somehow better/faster and worth the price and battery drain?

Do you have a 5G phone @MikeInCA? Would you recommend buying one today?

3 Likes

No, but that’s because 1) Apple doesn’t make one (yet) and 2) T-Mobile hasn’t lit up 600Mhz 5GNR (yet).

I agree with your recommendation not to buy… just wanted to clarify FUD about 5G NR.

At least I got the answer right. mmW is just one of many problems. I guess my main point is that 5G will be even harder to roll out than LTE. And I wonder if it will be faster in general use. LTE is pretty dang fast most of the time.

1 Like

No no @MikeInCA you didn’t aggravate me. I appreciate the correction!

3 Likes