TNW 314: Reverse Engineering iMessage with Beeper Mini

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Grand opening, grand closing.

Didn’t even get through the 7-day trial period. They better not bill me!

3 Likes

They said that they’d extend the free trial. Either way, if this becomes a cat and mouse game, no one will use it. An unreliable messaging app that requires a subscription is DOA.

1 Like

I can totally understand Apple’s position with Beeper, and I’m an Android user. Can you imagine if an Apple app developer had reverse-engineered Hangouts and pumped all that traffic over Google’s infrastructure instead of Apple’s? Without their approval?

This is a total non-issue here though. Every group chat (school parents, friends chats, family chats, politicians :slightly_smiling_face:) is WhatsApp.

2 Likes

Yes, the sooner Americans learn to use third party, cross platform, end to end encrypted services, like WhatsApp or Signal, the sooner this will all become a non-issue.

I have an iPhone and I have one relation with an iPhone that I use iMessage with, for everyone else, we are all on Signal, so nobody knows whether they are on a new Pixel 8 Pro, an iPhone 15 or an iPhone 8 or a cheap 8 year old Android phone…

3 Likes

On the end-to-end encyption, been discussions here on Boris’ missing WhatsApp messages that I think he said was wiped when the app was deinstalled/reinstalled or the phone reset without a backup of the messages.

A company got themselves on the news claiming anything can be recovered. I queried them about the encryption, if you could somehow recover a WhatsApp data file from a phone’s storage, you don’t have the key.

They claim the key is recoverable too :thinking:

When I pushed a bit harder - they wanted to sell me their book :upside_down_face:

PR puff piece or possible?

1 Like

The phone is encrypted anyway, these days. End to end means that the source encrypts the message and sends it to the destination, which decrypts it, any servers in the middle cannot access the message contents, they can only route it to the destination.

When the app is active, any messages being displayed will be unencrypted in memory, otherwise you cannot read them. This is why you don’t need a man-in-the-middle for encrypted communications, you just need to install a watcher app (malware or court sanctioned) on the phone to intercept messages coming in and going out.

1 Like

Their claim was that even if WhatsApp was removed, or a phone had been wiped and reset, they were able to recover the message data and key to unencrypt it.

If the phone is properly reset, they shouldn’t be able to do that, especially if the encryption key is changed when it is reset…