TNW 312: Apple Supporting RCS in 2024

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about Apple opening up to the RCS protocol. I was brought back into the Apple community when I was gifted a new MacBook Air i5 Intel a few years back (yes, I’m salivating after @Leo reviewed his MacBook Pro M3 Max) after having plunged into the Linux pool while using Windows at my day job.

I can appreciate the security benefits of Apple’s “walled garden” model, but there are so many workarounds needed (in both physical hardware and software) in order to be able to operate as other platforms work normally. With the advent of Apple’s implementation of new USB standards and now the messaging protocols, hopefully it means a little less configuring workarounds. It became even more noticeable after I started learning command line programming.

The chat colours are useful, so no issue if Apple uses another.

The Samsung messages app uses grey for SMS, purple for RCS, so it’s immediately obvious which you are using.

1 Like

Apple adopting RCS is very positive and welcome. I do not expect Apple to lose their iMessage focus but at the same time it was about time to dump SMS.

1 Like