TNW 105: Rebble With a Cause

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

As a Pebble user, I am actually glad that Rebble is helping us pebblers to enjoy our smartwatch.

And to know that there maybe a way to repair it from ifixit, it brings sparks joy.

1 Like

Ifixit rules. I’m pumped to get home and watch the teardown of the SL3.

Good episode I liked the commentary about how we sort of (as a nation) went straight to scrutiny about TikTok because of the path already laid by Facebook and Google. It’s a good point and a good thing in my opinion.

Is anybody surprised that TikTok is considered a security risk? I certainly am not.

Though as a veteran I can speak to our personal responsibility to not posting OPSEC on the freaking internet. I’m sure there will be PowerPoints and briefs on how not to do that, most certainly calling out TikTok specifically because of its ties with China.

That said, the military is packed with 18-22 year olds that are dumb and love social media.

1 Like

Pebble/Rebble user here. I listen to several TWIT network podcasts on my 2 hour daily commute and also spend a LOT of time in the Pebble subreddit and on the Pebble discord too. It was pretty strange to have those two worlds colliding this morning. haha
It is very cool how iFixit has jumped in and is helping source some of the needed parts to keep the Pebble watches running for as long as we can. The Pebble community is awesome and the watches seem to keep avoiding death. I wish another company would look at a Pebble and produce something with it’s benefits and stop trying to make another smartwatch will all the negatives that they keep trying to put in them. Long Battery life, physical buttons and transflective screen are some HUGE things that make the Pebble a fan favorite and are missing from most smart watches today.

2 Likes

I’m so happy to have iFixit as a sponsor on the network because I LOVE what they do and what they provide. Some smart people over there catering exactly to people like us.

2 Likes

Great episode. I’ve been using an Apple Watch for 3 years or so, but prior to that I was all in on Pebble. I knew there was still a community around, but it’s nice to hear that Rebble is so successful. I’ll have to get out my Pebble Time and give it a shot!

1 Like

I love this show; I remember when it was split in two, was daily and was hosted by Megan Morrone and Miike Elgan, I would love a 4 person special with the current two hosts and the old ones

Jason: I loved the note of the DOS abandonware

2 Likes

Yay! So then, what was one of your favorite DOS games from back in the day?

I was pretty taken by Thexder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thexder

Oh, hell yes!!! I totally forgot about that game. I had that game and played it all the time.

Any place online that replicates that game?

1 Like

I am more of a 16 bit guy, my favorite retro platforms are the NeoGeo and SNES

Why yes there is! https://www.myabandonware.com/game/thexder-dk/play-dk

2 Likes

Thanks!!! :smiley:

1 Like