Suggestions For Topics To Go On The Rundown

Here is a place to make suggestions for topics to be discussed on This Week In Google.

1 Like

The owner of Reuters News, along with other tech companies sell data collection and surveillance services to ICE to assist in finding undocumented immigrants to arrest. And about how state DMVs give ICE data for free for the same purpose. Undocumented immigrants who live the most law abiding lives are the ones who end up leaving a digital paper trail that makes them easier to track down.

2 Likes

Will you guys be live-streaming the google event too? https://apple.news/AAJDY0NmATc-Hh6cwpkFfgg

We’ll have our commentary during the live stream on Tues.

1 Like

This week I’ll be losing my job as an Independent Contractor as the company I’m currently working for is ending the contracts of workers from California en masse due to AB5. This will have a huge impact on writers, artists and other freelance workers as companies will likely chose to not hire people who live in California. While not necessarily Google-related, this has obvious implications for the art, tech and journalism industries. It might be a topic worth discussing with companies “adjusting” their workforces as we approach the January 1 2020 date when the law goes into effect. As a tech-savvy older worker (I’m 51) I’ve been relying on this sort of work since about 2015 and just barely getting by as it is.

2 Likes

Ugggh I’m so sorry! I’m also a contract worker so this is terrifying. My one client is in Texas.

This includes “mechanical turk” type jobs as well as social media moderation, metadata tagging, translation, editing, etc. All sorts of Independent Contractor remote work. Important supplemental income for people still struggling in this economy. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about this.

1 Like

Here’s a subject for The Rundown:

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Announces Arrest Of United States Citizen For Assisting North Korea In Evading Sanctions By Teaching North Korea How To Use Blockchain Crypto Currency Ethereum To Launder Money

Geoffrey S. Berman, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, John C. Demers, the Assistant Attorney General for National Security, John Brown, Assistant Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) Counterintelligence Division, and William F. Sweeney Jr., the Assistant Director-in-Charge of the New York Field Office of the FBI, announced today the unsealing of a criminal complaint charging VIRGIL GRIFFITH, a United States citizen, with violating the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (“IEEPA”) by traveling to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (“DPRK” or “North Korea”) in order deliver a presentation and technical advice on using cryptocurrency and blockchain technology to evade sanctions. GRIFFITH was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport yesterday and will be presented in federal court in Los Angeles later today.

U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman stated: “As alleged, Virgil Griffith provided highly technical information to North Korea, knowing that this information could be used to help North Korea launder money and evade sanctions. In allegedly doing so, Griffith jeopardized the sanctions that both Congress and the president have enacted to place maximum pressure on North Korea’s dangerous regime.”

Assistant Attorney General John Demers said: “Despite receiving warnings not to go, Griffith allegedly traveled to one of the United States’ foremost adversaries, North Korea, where he taught his audience how to use blockchain technology to evade sanctions. By this complaint, we begin the process of seeking justice for such conduct.”

Here’s the link: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/manhattan-us-attorney-announces-arrest-united-states-citizen-assisting-north-korea

And here is some interesting context to this story on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ninaandtito/status/1200566327687163904

1 Like