The Photo Thread : Week of 2020-07-26

Lovely summer evening yesterday. Was out with the dog just as the sun was dropping below the horizon.

OnePlus 7T Pro, with a bit of mystical and glow in Luminar.

Near Alfred’s Castle, Ashbury, Oxfordshire, UK

11 Likes

Places to go. Pixel 3a.

6 Likes

“Hurry up and take the photo, I’ve got sticks to chase!”

~Doggo, probably.

Nice shot.

5 Likes

Port Willunga Jetty Pylons (South Australia). Remains of a jetty from when Port Willunga was a grain port. I was a little too late to get the best of the sunset unfortunately.

8 Likes

The sun coming through the clouds looked lovely, but faded in the photo, HDR and highlighted in Snapseed.

9 Likes

I went back to Port Willunga today. This is one of the shots I took.

8 Likes

Gorgeous!

Gratuitous verbiage to meet the limit

1 Like

Very cool way of framing :fist_right:t5:

2 Likes

What other “thing” of photography interests you?

Jalapenos. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Updated thread here

1 Like

Are you in Germany? I miss Germany…

2 Likes

Hallo Saguaro, nein ich komme aus Großbritannien. Meine Frau wurde jedoch in Hannover geboren.

2 Likes

Und ich bin in Deutschland etwa 1 Stunde von Hannover entfernt.

4 Likes

Also! Aber wo ist das Bild? Die Dachfenster sieht aus wie in Deuschland.
Als ich im Deutschland lebte, gibts keine “Übersetzeugns-Appen!” :slight_smile:

Yes, it is from the my 3rd floor loft conversion. I live near Malvern/Worcester, Worcestershire UK. We don’t really use the floor as it’s just the wife and I in the house. We do use it for guests when they visit. The previous owners had a large family and did the loft conversion. As it was the previous owners daughters rooms they were painted bright pink!

The window is a Velux Interesting history page: VELUX History and Timeline They started in Denmark but in 1952:

In 1952, with the help of an employee who was fluent in German, Villum Kann Rasmussen formed a partnership with Ernst Günter Albers, the owner of the joinery E. Albers & v. Drathen (ALDRA) in Meldorf, West Germany. Together, they established VELUX GmbH Bauzubehör. From 1956, West Germany became the VELUX Group’s largest market. In fact, from the beginning of the 1960s sales in West Germany were ten times higher than in Denmark. Based on this success, the VELUX Group expanded its operations into France and Austria in 1964.

So Germany seemed a big market for Velux. Reading further through the history of Velux they did not enter the UK market until the 1970s.

This is a very long way of me saying, this is probably why it reminds you of Germany :laughing:

Google Translate FTW!

Photo from Malvern Hills:

5 Likes

Fantastic view!!!

1 Like

Schön!
Such history. Such internet!

1 Like

Every house / flat I’ve lived in in Germany has hat Velux roof windows. We put a new one in the toilet 3 years ago. It was much bigger than the old window. We had to cut some of the roof timbers and tiles to get it to fit, but it is a great improvement.

2 Likes

I think that is why Velux are so popular. Easy to install and cost less than comparative options like a dorma window. I believe in the UK as you are not changing the shape of the roofline you do not have to get full planning permission and the associated costs/time. Maybe a new show for the TWIT network, TWIV :laughing:

1 Like