The April 2024 North American Solar Eclipse

As I make this post, it’s still more than a year off, but people are probably already (or soon will be) making plans. If you’re looking to make plans, or to share them, this might be the thread to get you started.

I’ll kick it off with this useful resource from TimeAndDate.com:
Total Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024 (Great North American Eclipse )

4 Likes

Looking forward to that! I was in Hopkinsville, Ky for the Great American Eclipse in 2017 and got some great photos. I’m in Indiana so I get to go look at it again and capture more images when it happens!

Semi-related to your question, I was amused by a blog article on the Wolfram Research website back in 2017 noting that the intersection last and next solar eclipses were within ~8 miles of Carbondale, IL – the corporate HQ for the company. Ahem. Among other things, the graph shows something remarkable about the comprehensiveness and terseness of Mathematica:

To anyone interested in playing around with Mathematica, you can get a fully-functional trial version for most any PC. You can also run Mathematica off of a free Wolfram Cloud account. Finally, a fully-functional version of Mathematica is available for any Raspberry Pi running the Raspberry Pi OS. Given the ever-increasing power of the Raspberry Pi’s, that last one is a really attractive gift for a science-oriented teenager.

I personally have no plans to chase the next eclipse, but this blog article may give anyone interested a coding assist for finding a preferable location for the event.

Excellent Paul…thank you

I live in the area of totality for this one. I’d like to find a boat and spend the day on a local lake or river. Seems like the ideal viewing experience.

One of my photos from 2017. I wore the shutter out on my Mark III that day.

1 Like

Actually, Wolfram Research is headquartered in Champaign which is… Quite a bit north of there.

I actually saw their corporate HQ from an Amtrak train headed to Carbondale a couple weeks ago.

1 Like

You’re right. I had swapped the two C-cities (Carbondale and Champaign) in Illinois. OTOH, it’s definitely a sign (or maybe a sine) that Wolfram’s symbolic computation software and resources are the best on the surface of the Earth – eclipsed by nobody. :heart_eyes:
Also, it’s pretty great to live in a world that has a web page plotting the intersection of eclipses – and that that webpage is eminently findable.