SN 950: Leo Turns 67

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Hmmm… alright folks, who’s still got Flash sitting on their Windows system??

• Yep, Flash was still installed!
  • Nope, no Flash here!
0 voters

I gotta say, I really like the idea of authenticated content. I agree with Steve that the C2PA seems to be wandering down the wrong path. Oddly enough, we already have an open source method perfect for this use case, although it has a terrible reputation after being abused by get-rich-quick schemers: Non-Fungible Tokens. Or even just use the already existing public PKI we use for TLS, photographers/media outlets can have their own personal private key on their cameras instead of one universal C2PA key. A single group holding the power to authenticate all media rings of a certain dystopian problem anyway.

I’m surprised that the major news outlets aren’t pushing this harder, I kind of see it as a saving grace for them in this digital age - imagine your publication being perceived as a cryptographically trusted source. Yes it takes some special software to display signed content, but wouldn’t that be a benefit from their view? Users would be forced to your digital property to view their content rather than seeing it on some aggregation service.

1 Like

Posted this in the wrong thread first time…

I’ve not had Flash installed on any of my PCs for over a decade. I recognised it as a security nightmare back in around 2003-4, but there were a lot of sites that needed it in the noughties. Going forward, after 2011, I just decided to limit myself to sites that worked without Flash and never installed it again.

With regard to Firefox and its switch to use the internal OS certificate store, I can say that this has nothing to do with corporate acceptance. Our anti-malware system started putting its own certificate in Firefox over 2 years ago - I know, because I became very frustrated at work, because I manually checked the certicate of critical sites, before entering information into them, but suddenly, they were all signed by the anti-malware software. Likewise, the AM software bypassed the Firefox “don’t ask me again” check-box on sites that you know are safe, but don’t have a valid certificate (E.g. our NAS, vSphere and other internal services), meaning every time I have to manage some internal resource, I have to tell the AM that the site is fine and I trust it and it should proceed.

Living in Germany, the changes for tracking in the new version are a welcome breath of fresh air.

1 Like

As I said in my general reply, I haven’t had Flash installed on any new PC since around 2011.

1 Like

I must say, your courts are quite impressive for coming to that decision on the LinkedIn trial. How does the appeals process work in a situation like that in DE? Should we expect arguments in a higher court or is the decision pretty much final?

It was the Landesgericht, so not yet at Federal level. There are a couple of instances they could go through, but I don’t see how they could have much success.

@ant_pruitt the GDPR rules apply to the location of the visitor. If I visit the TWiT site, for instance, ‘you’ (TWiT) have to handle my data in compliance with GDPR rules.

The same would apply to your data, if you were to access the site over a VPN with an EU IP address.

That is why some sites refuse to serve EU IP addresses.

2 Likes

Regarding the fingerprint readers, Elan, the worst of the bunch, is the one used in the Surface Pro X external keyboard!

Synaptics was on the Lenovo.

1 Like