SN 787: Why Win7 Lives On

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I actually stay with Windows 7 because it’s stable, and looks nicer.

I remember when I upgraded to windows 10, I got a bluescreen at least 3 times every month. Not to mention the countless hardware issues (even with USB!)

Also, being forced to view an update window and possibly forcible update if one is out? No thanks.

And the UI… This is more of a me issue, but I can’t get used to how ugly the windows look… Huge buttons… Ew. And the new settings menu? Why was this even necessary? Just complicates everything.

And lastly. With new windows installations, you need a Microsoft account… Why? You have to disconnect from the network/internet to make a local account which is a big inconvenience from the start. And if you choose to disable every feature in the Windows 10 install it will do an install loop.

Whatever, I’m staying with Windows 7 until it becomes a major inconvenience to operate or becomes a bigger security issue than I thought. (I’m a home user btw)

It’s already a bigger security issue, you just won’t have a chance to address it until after it bites you in the a**. No one talks about it, but Windows 10 included all the advancements in OS security that were prototyped in EMET. That was probably the cause of some of the BSOD’s you experienced. These days, Windows 10 has features to slow down (or maybe even prevent) crypto locking malware, if you use them. (Probably also makes Windows less friendly to use, welcome to the tradeoff between usability and security.)

As for requiring an online account, yes, I know people believe that to be true, but I’ve never once experienced it. I install Windows into VM’s on a regular basis, and all I do is just select the “no thanks” to online options twice. (Yes MS is being very passive aggressive about it, but I have never been forced to not use a local account.)

To each their own. You’re happy, and it’s still working for you, so that’s great for you. I do worry that you might eventually have a bad security day without warning… so I do hope you have a good and effective backup plan in action.

1 Like

As for requiring an online account, yes, I know people believe that to be true, but I’ve never once experienced it. I install Windows into VM’s on a regular basis, and all I do is just select the “no thanks” to online options twice. (Yes MS is being very passive aggressive about it, but I have never been forced to not use a local account.)

Huh, I guess it’s just me. I never had the option to do so when I installed it on one of my VMs. :thinking:

Windows 10 Pro? Maybe it’s a limitation on Home?

It may have been the home single language version.
But I remember just doing the standard home version after a few times with the single language one.

Nope, you can install both without the need for an online account…

But on home, with current versions (post 1903, I think), you need to ensure that there is no network connection during initial set-up. If it detects an internet connection, it pretty much forces an online account.

I always ensure the PC or the VM is not attached to the network during the initial install.

I set up half a dozen new laptops this week, I used a local account called “temp” until the installation was finished and the machines could be added to the domain, I then deleted the temp account.

Probably because the VM had Internet access. If the virtual network interface is offline then local account is the only choice IIRC.

I believe if you are installing Windows Pro, then this doesn’t matter. It seems to be a difference between Windows Home and Windows Pro. For Windows Home, you need to make sure not to have an Internet connection, it seems. When I said I never experienced it, it is because I only ever install Windows Pro in VMs.

1 Like