Powerline Networking

Is powerline networking built on a standard? Last week I bought a TP-Link kit. Today, I noticed that TP-Link doesn’t sell single endpoint modules. So if I wanted to expand my powerline to another room would I be able to buy a module from a different brand and use them together?

Yes, there is the HomePlug Powerline Alliance for power-line communication. I’ve personally never used it, so I don’t have any experience to relate, but I presume the alliance must have a logo to look for to ensure interoperability. The supposed site for the alliance doesn’t seem to be coming up for me right now though.

1 Like

I have used TP-Link and D-Link powerline adaptors together successfully, using a single master, and receivers from both manufacturer.

Looking at specs for both, they meet IEEE802.3 and 802.3u, and as @pholder mentioned, Homeplug AV.

Before you go out and buy another one, move the receiver temporarily to the room you want to extend to, and verify it works there. Save time and money finding out they might not be on same mainline or have something isolating them.

As the others have said, it is a standard, although there are varying levels, like wirelss. Although the kit isn’t always backwards compatible.

Devolo make what is generally regarded as the best kit. I used some old Netgear APs for a while, but they were slow. I’ve been using Devolo 1gbps APs for the last 4 years, they are faster (100mbps over 50mbps that the Netgears managed, but still much faster than the 802.11ac wireless kit I have).

The most important thing is the quality of your wiring. The cellar is on a second circuit, so the full speed isn’t available, although it is still better than wireless, due to the re-inforced concrete floors and ceilings.

Also, like wireless, it can “leak” information outside your 4 walls. Depending on the type of wiring that your local utility uses, it is possible that neighbours within range will also get your signal or their kit will interfere with your kit, although I believe that that problem isn’t as bad as it used to be with earlier generations.

It has been awhile since I used it, but I remember there was a way to set a password or something on the units to prevent a new one being plugged in and gaining access to your network without your knowledge. So that may something to check on different models if it is set by default.

1 Like

I’m having an interesting issue. I’ve now received the Ethernet adapter for my laptop. I decided to immediately run speed tests and found that I’m getting substantially higher speed on wifi. The powerline adapter I’m plugged into says that it’s getting the highest rating of speed it can. Any idea of how to fix that?

I really wish I had some experience with this, but all I have to offer you is:

Note section 3:

Wasn’t the breaker the powerbar I have plugged into the pass through outlet on the powerline adapter.