Poll of the day - Have you ever met a celebrity?

I met @Leo back in August, that was quite the exhilarating experience!

9 Likes

He da man!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All of mine are business related authors, consultants, thinkers. I was lucky enough meet these three and get them to autograph their most famous books. Deming - Out of the Crisis; Covey - Seven Habits; Peters - In Search of Excellence.

How many of you have heard of Dr. Deming? I attended one of his famous three day seminars. Back in the 80s, he was one of the ā€œquality gurus.ā€ Very interesting life. Taught me a lotā€¦strangely, about statistics.Because of him I harass our local national weather station on Twitter when use ā€œnormalā€ instead ā€œaverageā€ā€¦ā€œLast monthā€™s rainfall was .8ā€ above normal." AGGGGHHHHH! (Normal is a range, not a precise number.)

When he passed, the Wall Street Journal had nothing but a standard, little obit. I was really pissed. His contributions to Japanā€™s and the USā€™ economy was enormous.

3 Likes

I shook hands with Ozzy at a Black Sabbath gig in London back in about 1978.

5 Likes

Hi, Leo! I had the newest iPhone when I met McGuinn, using it to take this picture, and he was VERY interested in it. Cool that you engineered Pete Seeger. I had a friend in grad school who worked for him digitizing the index for Sing Out magazine, and from what I remember, he was not the nicest boss.

Iā€™m next to Roger in the Farm Aid shirt.

4 Likes

I asked to him about his first suppressed movie Superstar, his bio of Karen Carpenterā€™s battle with anorexia and bulimia told with dolls, and he let me know that it was available on the DL even if it couldnā€™t be shown in theaters. He was very knowledgeable about film and film history as well.

3 Likes

Having been an avid traveler to Las Vegas/Hollywood in my younger yearsā€¦I have met/hung out with a list of athletes - (Adrian Peterson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Phil Mickelson, Bill Haas, Ryane Clowe, Jason Miller, Matt Kemp, & Sergio Romo) actors/singers - (Dave Chapelle, Courtney Cox, Phil Vassar, Carrie Underwood, Fabulous, Carmen Electra, Paris Hilton, Ne-Yo, Josh Henderson, & Lauren Conrad.) I have fantastic memories/pictures with each one of these unique individuals. I hope to continue to add to my list as the years go on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I met Dr Deming in Southern California at a seminar

3 Likes

Carl Sagan (one of my personal heroes), Buzz Aldrin, Gen James Mattis, Peja Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson of the Sacramento Kings

4 Likes

Does Bill Gates count? Because if yes, then no. Iā€™ve never met a celebrity.

Met, talked, hung out w/ a few folks from some of my favorite bands I guess the most famous being Phish but they donā€™t really count.

7 Likes

Before I joined the Army I worked overnight security at Bob Hopesā€™ home in Palm Sprigs, CA. While doing my rounds one night I met and talked to Phyllis Diller sitting outside next to Bob Hopeā€™s swimming pool.

5 Likes

Climbed onto a Sydney bus, sat down and found myself Facing Chrissy Amphlett, looked around and realised the Divinyls (a successful Australian rock band) were all riding a bus into the city.

Said Hi, and had a chat for 3 stops, till they got off.

I have ā€œpleasure and painā€ on my play list, a great song.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

When I was a Zamboni Drver/ice maker met a lot of pro hockey players and figure skaters.Two of the classy people I met were Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr.Singers Gordon Lightfoot and Canadian icon Stomping Tom Conners

6 Likes

Yes, at a climbing competition, at the UN in Geneva and at other events. Met Robert Caillau. The geeks will recognise the name. Also Brian Cox etc, etc.

3 Likes

Met Kevin Rose and Sarah Lane at a TechTV Screensavers event at the cool springs mall in Franklin TN in about 2002? 2003?.. They signed the thinkpad I wardrove with plus I had on my thinkgeek wardriver t-shirt onā€¦ Photo was on the thinkgeek site for a while.

6 Likes

Queen Elizabeth, Many entertainers at Woodstock, did a movie with Charlton Heston and Christian Bale, was John Sebastianā€™s roommate in prep school, Steve Jobs (and the gang), Cady Coleman, Donald Trump, Gerald Ford, and many more. And, of course, Leo on a Mac Maniacs cruise.

3 Likes

I met Jackie Chan and Joseph Blair (ex-NBA)

3 Likes

Back in the early 1990s I was living in Tucson, AZ. Me and a buddy went to a local bar after work which was pretty empty. We were getting great service since the predominantly female waitstaff was bored silly. That was until Jason Priestly (still super popular from his 90210 fame) walked in (by himself). His table was instantly surrounded by all of the employees in the bar, and we could no longer flag someone down for refills. I guess that means it was time to go. We strolled over to Jasonā€™s table, said hi and thanked him (sarcastically) for stealing all of the attention in the bar. He cracked up and we chatted for a few minutes. He said he was in town filming a new western movie called Tombstone (great film BTW). Pretty down to earth guy actually.

6 Likes

Changed my vote, kicking myself for not making the connection. I met Mary Jo Foley back in 2015 when she recorded Windows Weekly 399 at Microsoftā€™s London offices. Sheā€™s every bit as much fun in real life as she comes across on the recordings. :grinning:

5 Likes

Bill Gates totally counts

4 Likes