Play podcasts on the Watch speaker?

Hi,

So, simple question … is there a way , any way, to play podcasts over the Apple Watch speaker? I want to be able to listen while taking a shower :woozy_face: Series6/os7.3.3. Thanks!

Not that I know of unfortunately.

1 Like

I assume your postcast app could sync between the watch and other devices? If so, your second best option might be to have one of the small speaker devices in the washroom with you. I have done this with a Google Home Mini (or whatever they’re called now) but the Apple device probably is more integrated into your ecosystem.

1 Like

Pardon me, what is Postcast app? Not seeing this on the store. If you meant the podcast app - well already tried that, it didn’t work. Not going to buy a HomePod, as I can just bring in the phone itself, or a Bluetooth speaker… I just wish I didn’t need to use any hardware except the wearable… I don’t really understand why a device with a perfectly good speaker can’t be used for this type of task. Oh Apple ! :cry:

I wonder how much battery the speaker uses. Also, maybe concerns about how annoying people would be playing their watch. Or maybe it is a strong incentive for people to buy AirPods (not good for your use case, obviously).

1 Like

I dunno. From what I conceive , Apple doesn’t like audio other than phone calls , alarms etc. played on the watch because the speaker is of lower quality or something. Or maybe it’s a waterproofing issue. I don’t know. I don’t care if it’s crappy quality TBH. I really think a speaker on wearable can be really convenient for playing stuff like podcasts radio while in the shower. Too bad this is not possible. ATM.

Honestly don’t think it would be a good experience even it were possible. The watch speaker would be drowned out by the noise of the running shower water.

The watch speaker is also prone to distortion if there’s water in there until it dries or you use the feature to vibrate the water out.

I use bone conduction headphones occasionally in the shower if I want to listen to podcasts; but that’s an expensive option when there are cheap, waterproof Bluetooth speakers available.

1 Like

Yes, music would probably sound pretty bad on that puny speaker, but what’s between a regular phone call and a talking podcast?

But anyway, I understand now why such reasons would make Apple not allow it, thanks!

I know this is late but streamlets does something similar, not sure if it does podcasts.

I don’t have a watch, but I just put my phone on the window ledge opposite the shower and play the podcasts through that - I used to use an old radio with audio-in, but the phone on the window ledge is less faff.

I also face the speakers into the gap between the window and the ledge, it acts as an amplifier and increases the sound enough that it is easily audible over the noise of the running water.

1 Like

Sure you can…

How to sync podcasts to your Apple Watch

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Podcasts and make sure that Sync Podcasts is turned on.
  2. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Go to the My Watch tab, scroll to Podcasts, then tap it.
  3. Under Add Episodes From, tap Custom.
  4. Tap the slider for the show that you want.

This is so true! :joy:…………………….