Phillips Hue Light Question

Quick Phillips Hue light question…

I suffer from optical migraines, and I have no flourescent lights in my office. But, I still have issues sometimes. Someone suggested I try these types of bulbs and play with the various colors to see if it will help…

Anyway, my question… Can these bulbs be adjusted with only a phone app and not connected to wifi directly?

I’ve had Philips Hue and several different bulbs installed in/outside my home for 7 years or so. Great for small spaces or with low hanging fixtures. I would say the only downside is the lack of brighter bulbs, the most they will go up to is the equivalent of 60W but they do promise energy savings and I noticed that when I switched all of the old bulbs in my home.

You will quickly get bored with the idea of using mood lighting, however, because of the flexibility of the software and APIs, you will be able to tap in your TV or PC in the living room for example or your speaker systems to create living scenes.

Philips provides full control of the hub through your phone, web API and/or your home network. There are small PC software applications you can use to control and manage the bulbs. The phone app is only required for initial configuration and the hub provides its own wireless connection to the bulbs using ZigBee.

As an added bonus, the bulbs can relay to your hub using each other as a repeater so distance is not necessarily important. The app Philips provides also allows multiple hubs in your home.

This product however is not intended for office use and the capability for VLAN tagging has been stripped from the Zigbee software.

Ok. Yes, 60W would not work. I have three 3 way bulbs going right now - and they are all at the 150W setting. So yes, I guess that would not work then. Thanks.

My office is still rather dim. But, two or three 60 watt bulbs would be way too dim.

CRI

You need to make sure that you get a high CRI bulb or LED strip. That is likely the cause of your issues. A lot of cheaper brands don’t advertise their CRI because they use LEDs with a rating of around 80-85 (the same as bad florescent bulbs).

The system is out of 100 and, for the most part, 95 is indistinguishable from perfect. 100 means that the light is a perfect match to the spectrum put off by the sun when burning at the color temp of the bulb. Incandescent bulbs were usually 99 to 100, which is why everyone was so reluctant to get rid of them.

1 Like

If that’s the case I would go down to your local hardware store if they have a good selection of LED bulbs. You may see them on display. Any of them will work and you may not need the Wi-Fi, maybe an automation switch to turn them on/off.

I am not looking for just a normal LED. I wanted one that I could physically adjust the light spectrum on it.

Certain light triggers me. Florescent lights sometimes do effect me, sometimes they do not. Cloudy/gray days often trigger some symptoms too. I hate those kind of days when I have to drive - and, we’ve had a lot of those days the last couple of weeks.

So, I had a doctor suggest I try something like the Phillips light that I could adjust the color. So, I want to do that. I don’t want to make it some weird color, but just make some slight changes and see if it does anything… And, I want something I could adjust from an app, and not require a home automation system or wifi access.