Opening internal links in a new tab?

Is there a way to make this happen without needing a Firefox browser extension? Most of the forums/site I use already do this, so it would be nice to have it here as well.

It would be especially helpful when clicking on topics.

Thanks.

If I need this I just right-click and select “Open link in new tab” not ideal but I don’t normally want it to be the default at any website - far too many tabs already :grin:

1 Like

That’s what I do now, but I often forget and then get lost trying to find my way back to where I was. Maybe it’s because I’m unfamiliar with Discourse’s way of doing things. Define “too many tabs” for me. :rofl:

I find the back and forward buttons on my mouse can be very helpful in those situations.

I generally have a minimum of 50 tabs but I have been known to have over 300 if I have many projects going on. And before you ask I use The Great Suspender extension so I only use the minimal amount of memory.

Since you are on this forum, you probably already know this, but if you don’t, A mouse middle button click will open the link in a new tab.

Yes, there is a setting in Discourse for this, I use it as well. Here’s how you get there:
Click you avatar icon on the top right.
Click your user ID.
Click Preferences.
Click Interface.
Check the box “Open all external links in a new tab”.

Here’s a picture version of the same steps:
Step1and2
Step3

2 Likes

Oh I could have sworn I read external links… :confused: Anyway, no I don’t think there is a config for internal links. I just right click and open in a new tab. There is an option in Firefox to open all links in a new tab thou.

1 Like

Thanks. I have one of my trackpad buttons set to open links in a new tab, but the problem is I always forget to do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like