New Sony Animal Eye Auto Focus

Pretty darned psyched so far with my new Sony DSCRX10m4. Today Sony dropped a software update with animal eye auto focus just in time for my trip to Africa. Yeah!

3 Likes

:+1:t2: Focus is something I struggle with, and as I mentioned on the pics you posted, impressed with what your camera is doing - it obviously has AI/intelligence and is deciding what the subject is. If it can now track eyes on a moving animal automatically - fantastic!

Mine has single-shot/continuous, many focus points, can track moving objects, detect faces etc. etc. but nine times out of ten it will lock on to the easiest thing to focus on - usually a branch, the edge of a piece of furniture etc. And it’s the one thing hard to fix in post :thinking:

Looking forward to @ant_pruitt covering this on HOP!

2 Likes

Yup, the Sony has an incredible array of tools as well, but until I learn more, I’m staying with Intelligent Auto. I’m slowly working through Alexander White’s book and it’s just mind-boggling what you can do with this thing. Maybe an engineering degree would have been helpful. I actually managed to set up function menu items and 3 custom buttons with things I think I’ll be using in Africa, so fingers crossed. This is going to be a fun journey for sure.

1 Like

Not sure on that model, but I recommend setting up what’s called “back button focus.” Works for me when dealing with moving objects. Instead of partially clicking the shutter to start the metering, a thumb press can initiate it and allow better control on locking focus. The mirrorless cameras have an awesome advantage of allowing you to drag your thumb on the rear screen while your eye is on the viewfinder. You can drag your thumb to the focal point while shooting. Super handy.

2 Likes

Thanks Ant, will watch a few YouTube vids on it later. Looks interesting :+1:t2:

1 Like

Just thought I’d drop another one that I particularly liked. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 Likes

lovely image. so detailed
:fist_right:t4:

2 Likes

Perfect amount of depth of field. Awesome shot. Did you also get one with more of the reflection in the pond? Not often you can get a perfect mirror image like that.

2 Likes

I wish I had thought to get more of the reflection. I think I was so excited to see this impala that I forgot my composition…lol. This is about as much as I got, and I popped this one a bit more in Snapseed. I’m really not a photographer yet. I bought this camera about a week or so before we left on the trip. I hope to learn so much more! Being in the photography hide was so amazing. I got a lesson there and also saw Michael Poliza there, who had his new book with him. Just amazing.

2 Likes

This is me in the hide. That’s my teacher, Aubrey, to my left. It’s a container sunk into the ground just in front of a watering hole. Pretty amazing!

2 Likes

I call BS on that statement. Well done. Upon seeing the original I like the way you cropped it. Water is too ripply IMO.

Ha! Glad you posted the next photo 'cause I wondered “photo hide?” Around here we call it a “blind.”

1 Like

Same here, on “blind,” but in Botswana, they call it a hide :grin:. Such an amazing perspective!

4 Likes