Need Help deciding on a new Backup Strategy - Dropbox or another Lacie?

Hello Folks in Twit land,
I have another question to ask. Since my Synology NAS has been in storage for the past few months (in the process of moving and there is no space for it ) and won’t be available for use for another two months until I move into my new house. I want to come up with another strategy as my data is quite crucial to me.

What is the best method to backup data (approximately 400Gb at the moment and growing) on my 1Tb Lacie rugged drive. I would like to back this drive up to DropBox. As I think their “sync” feature is quite good.

Or do I buy another Lacie and CCC or Time Machine to it ?

So its Dropbox or another local drive.

Your thoughts ?

If Dropbox works for you then I’d go for that.

You’re not reliant on a single drive and your data is off-site so wouldn’t be impacted by a fire or flood.

1 Like

Are you aware of the 3-2-1 backup concept? Three copies (including the original), on two different media, one of which is offsite. This represents an “ultimate” level of redundancy… making it most unlikely you’ll lose something permanently. This can be costly in terms of hardware or effort (i.e. time) but it depends entirely on the value of your data and the ease with which it can be “replaced” (if at all.)

An example would be: On the PC’s HDD/SSD, on an external drive held locally offline, and in the cloud.

1 Like

I agree with PHolder on 3-2-1, absolutely necessary.

If you are happy with Dropbox and you have already purchased sufficient storage there then that’s fine. If you haven’t yet bought Dropbox space then consider iDrive (Need online backup and cloud storage? Sign up with IDrive®) with 500Gb for $10/year. Personally, I use Backblaze but it’s an annual plan and quite expensive.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve used Carbonite (previously a sponsor of the TWiT network) and it worked fine on Windows and on Mac for a while, then it just stopped working on my daughter’s MacBook Pro. After several attempts to get it working again, I gave up and switched her to Backblaze, it works just fine.

I haven’t looked at iDrive yet, but I’ve heard some good things about it.

I used to do a backup from SSD to HDD on my PC every hour, then from HDD to my NAS, all the data on the SSD was then syced to OneDrive, plus Carbonite. I am now on a Mac and the process is a little different, TimeMachine to the NAS and iCloud for sync, plus OneDrive for a second backup, although I am thinking of dropping OneDrive, as it is part of my M365 subscription and I just don’t use any of the Office apps any more or the other benefits, just the storage.