Mystery Nexus 5 in Google Devices?

Does anyone know why an LG Nexus 5 keeps appearing on my Google devices? Don’t think my account has been compromised (changed password, 2FA is on). If I look up the IP address the org is my mobile phone provider.

Bit of googling suggests this is linked to using Firefox on your Android phone?? If you use Firefox on your mobile do you see the same on https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity?

If you click on the phone from that device activity page and sign out of it you will soon find out if one if your devices stops working with google services. If it turns out to be something that you use you can always sign back in again.

You could also go into find lost device and find out where its location is to see if that helps you any.

1 Like

I don’t even have to sign it back in. If I remove it, it reappears on its own almost immediately.

I can only find my OnePlus with Google Find My Device.

If I hit the hamburger menu above the LG and pick Find phone, it gives a timeline of events which seem to match where I’m located.

Just bugging me what it is :thinking:

Must be your stalker :joy:

1 Like

I use Firefox on my phone and it is still being shown as “Huawei Mate 10 Pro” in activity, although there is an “Android (Firefox)” entry.

1 Like

Thanks for checking. This is what I found…

https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/20242885?hl=en

I’ll see what Firefox say.

2 Likes

Seems pretty conclusive. Just tested it.

• Have Firefox open on both my Mac and Android, on google.com with my Google account logged in (profile pic top right)
  • Go to https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity and logout the LG Nexus 5.
  • Refresh the Google pages on both my Mac and Android. On the Android my account is now signed out.
  • Log back into Google on my Android.
  • Refresh the Google Device Activity page again, the Nexus is back.

So why would a Google login on Firefox for Android be interpreted by Google as an LG Nexus 5? Very weird :thinking:

1 Like

Aha, if I ask ‘What is my user agent?’ on my phone I get this. I could override it, but then it would be fixed.

Android Chrome

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; ONEPLUS A6003) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.116 Mobile Safari/537.36

Android Firefox

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0; Nexus 5 Build/MRA58N) FxQuantum/68.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.111 Mobile Safari/537.36

3 Likes

Looks like Firefox mobile is intentionally anonymizing the user agent for a miniscule amount of enhanced privacy when you directly log into Google via Firefox mobile. It has the unfortunate side effect of creating security worries for those who properly pay attention to the security of their Google account.

1 Like

Maybe. There’s a ‘privacy.resistFingerprinting’ setting in about:config that people say stops Firefox giving an accurate user agent, but it’s set to false on mine anyway. Perhaps I’ll just force the phone model bit.

Read somewhere that Google were doing away with user agent anyway?

I hadn’t heard about it so I searched and found a good article.

2 Likes

Looks like they’ve sorted this with an update to Firefox. This month the Nexus was replaced with a generic ‘Android’ and my user agent string is now:

Mozilla/5.0 (Android 10; Mobile; rv:68.0) Gecko/68.0 Firefox/68.0

Stops me getting ‘your browser is unsupported’ messages from some sites too.

1 Like