MBW 918: You're Rubbing It Wrong

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

The Apple Event graphic with the hand gripping the Apple Pencil:

Reminded me of the book Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes, Second Edition:
CrochetingAdventures
MoMath is actively hosting classes in Online Topological Crochet once a month. I highly recommend perusing the CRC Press book preview; there’s some great images:

The Chemical Rubber Company used to publish books filled with tables of trig functions to 5 or 6 digits. They have turned into something truly wonderful in the last 40-50 years.

1 Like

Wait. Are you saying that crochet is based on trig functions?? How cool!

2 Likes

Um, no. Hyperbolic geometry can be represented by crochet. Each row has some number (or some percentage) of stitches added. This rapidly creates the wild waviness of the rows. That wacky crochet style creates material which jumps out of the plane and looks like the hyperbolic curves of a kind of non-newtonian geometry. Many YT videos are available on the topic. On the down side, my feed became littered with a bunch of videos about acne and pimples after doing that search on YT. Hope they go away soon. Hyperbolic geometry is easy, but The Algorithm is hard.

Weaving seems to be more like Euclidean geometry – everything happening on a flat surface.

@Leo, did you never see those funky CRC handbooks when you were growing up? They had all sort of reference formulas for area and volume.I remember page after page of tables showing trig values for (I think) tenths of a degree. Who ever needed to know the sine of 22.4 degrees? Not me! But I guess that someone somewhere needed those calculations, and calculators didn’t exist before the mid-1970s. The Wikipedia article on the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is pretty good. My point was that the CRC Press has branched out to publish a bunch of interesting science and math books today.

UPDATE: I found an old copy of the CRC Handbook that has those tables: Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 8th Ed. (1920) : The Chemical Rubber Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive . Logs, Natural Logs, Exponentials, Table of trig functions, Table of log(10) of trig functions, degree/radian conversions, etc. Who the heck needs PCALC (or any calc) if you’ve got this stuff? Why would anyone need logs of trig functions? Is that for the slide rule trick of adding the logs of values then looking up the antilog of the result?

I remember those tables very well. There’s an analog in digital crypto: rainbow tables to crack hashes.

http://project-rainbowcrack.com/table.htm

1 Like