MBW 863: Who Will Speak for the Shrubbery?

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I’m still listening to this episode, but the talk about Apple Pay confused me. You can keep a balance on Apple Pay? Here in Australia, Apple Pay is basically an interface to your debit/credit cards (plus some BNPL services like AfterPay and Humm through virtual cards). I don’t really see why you would want to keep a balance on Apple Pay when it’s just as easy to access from your bank account.

1 Like

Maybe this is for people who are sending/receiving cash? I think this is actually called “Apple Cash”.
If you’re talking about buying something from a shop and using tap-to-pay or using the one-click button on the web, then this is “Apple Pay”. As you say, that is simply a front-end for whatever credit card or debit account you have stored in your Wallet.
Also, I think if you have the Apple Card (credit card) then whatever cash back you receive is put into Apple Cash.

2 Likes

Is this the new loan service, where you can borrow between $50 and $1000 from Apple and pay it back over up to 6 weeks? I guess then the balance would remain in Apple Pay and the regularly agreed amount would be charged every week to the attached debit/credit card.

Better than an overdraught, or worse, a pay-day loan…

(I only heard the first 5 minutes, before work, this morning, so I have some catching up to do)

2 Likes

US only. I think what Alex is talking about is Apple Cash. Basically a Green Dot Bank account.

2 Likes

The one thing that struck me about the AI video compression and it prioritising faces etc. and not so much the background… In a lot of films that is already happening, especially with heavy compression, the backgrounds are uneven, the dark night sky is a blotch of different shades of grey, if there is a light in the night, then there are jagged halos coming off of it. It was really bad in the early days of digital satellite, but you can still see it regularly, especially with live reports.

I’m guessing that this is more large areas of similar colour getting compressed more heavily and causing this banding and jagged corona effects, but it is still bad. If we now have an AI compression routine that is supposed to do this with the “shrubbery”, are we going to see more and more of this coming back, in high end film?

Also, I often look at the shrubbery as a mark of how good the film is, how clear is it, how much detail is there? I wonder at the clarity of the shots. I want more detail, not less.

I hope I am wrong and it doesn’t drastically reduce the quality of the encoding.

Also, whilst on the topic, why are so many films shot in pitch black? GRRR! I usually watch in daylight, in the lounge and you have an action film (E.g. Batman), where much of the action takes place at night, and they really mean night, the whole film just becames a moving black mess and, essentially, the action scenes are just an audio book…

1 Like