MBW 859: Slip Into The Warm Apple Bath

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Leo you confuse the number of TSMC wafers with the number of chips. A typical wafer at this scale has hundreds of chips per wafer.

There are various tools online to help estimate the yield of chips from a wafer. Here’s one: Die Yield Calculator - isine

An idea to disable changing your password on a stolen phone is to setup screen time for password change. Than the menu entry for Face ID and password disappears

I find myself troubled by Alex’s comments on his Pick of the Week. When Leo expressed concern over AI-generated assets, and AI-generated content in general, Alex’s reply was that it wasn’t something that he (Leo) had to worry about for a while - but that it would make it difficult if you were starting out or if you were mediocre.

So - basically, if you are at the absolute top of your craft - he feels there is nothing to worry about. The problem is that, by definition, excellent people are rare. Everyone cannot be the best. So what does that mean for those who are not the best?

What Alex calls the democratization of skiils instead seems to me like a commoditization of creativity. How is a graphic designer supposed to improve if only the best can survive? The pressure to be the best will fall to children because if you are not the best by the time you finish high school, it will be too late.

I don’t know what the answer is on this. But I don’t see how ‘average’ people will be able to survive in industries where the use of AI for these purposes becomes commonplace.