MacOS Catalina on Unsupported Macs

Will give it a go after I finish wrestling with Boot Camp

I took your advice, and after finally getting Windows 10 running on my 2011 MBA, I started from scratch, and installed Catalina using dosdude1 patcher’s latest version. So, now running MacBook Air with High Sierra, Catalina, and Windows 10, as multi boot system. Interchange of data between MacOS versions is almost instantaneous. Want to see if I can run apps on both Mac systems from a single copy on only one system.
Actually beginning to see advantage of APFS. Two versions of MacOS are sharing ~850 gb of storage. Don’t have to waste space by defining two set sized partitions which usually have unused space.
Next, might try installing Mojave in same container.
Still feel Catalina is running slower than High Sierra, but so far it is tolerable. Haven’t found my Apple TV (hardware) yet.
Thanks again.

1 Like

That’s awesome… I really love it. I have an older Mac mini that’s running it… with 16Gb ram and an SSD is’t definitely fast enough but no longer supported… but thanks to @dosdude1 Catalina works great!

1 Like

Just a warning to those considering trying out Catalina on an older Mac using a patcher.
Be careful to not use Photos on your only copy of your existing Photos library. If you let Photos update your library, then decide to go back to an older version of MacOS, you could lose anything you added to the library while on Catalina. This assumes you have a backup of the old Photos library.

2 Likes

What does this have to to do with the patcher?

Just wanted to warn anyone who decides to try out Catalina on an older Mac using one of the available patcher programs, and then decides they don’t like it, to be careful about letting Catalina update their Photos library without being sure they maintain a backup.
Seems to me that those considering running an OS the computer manufacturer does not recommend for their hardware should know any possible pitfalls in advance.

1 Like

But that has nothing to do with the patch… that’s ANYONE who tries Catalina?

Pretty happy with dosdude1 patcher upgrade to date.
Just got a notice of a patch for Night Shift for unsupported Mac. Having only one computer and with the ongoing coronavirus lockdowns escalating quickly down under, I’m putting any non-security updates on hold for a while.

Anyone following this thread interested in keeping up to date, dosdude1 released 10.15.4 update.

1 Like

Need some help from someone who understands using dosdude1 Catalina patcher.
When running Catalina on an unsupported Mac, my experience has been the OS does not do any Apple provided updates. I installed 10.15.1 several months ago, and it never showed any updates, including security updates.
Also, I never got any offers to update to 10.15.anything.
So, I decided to download the patcher again, create install drive, and install it. I expected that I would end up overwriting the existing 10.15.1 install, and have to start from scratch.
When I booted to the install drive, got a MacOS Repair menu. One option was to re-install all patches, and one was to install the OS. Tried the patch option first, to see if this would do a “normal” update, but it said it would install them on my Bootcamp drive, so I cancelled.
Then I choose Install MacOS, expecting a complete overwrite.
When it finished the install, it booted up in 10.15.4, with all my existing data and configuration.
So, am I correct in thinking I will not get any Apple OS updates running the patcher version, including security updates?
And, can I be confident that when dosdude1 offers any updates to future 10.15 versions, I can run the patcher install process, and my system will update without deleting my data and configuration?
And, is there anywhere that actually documents how to update the OS and what to expect?

You’re right that automatic updates are disabled because they could break his fixes. Just keep checking his website, when updates are released you make a new installer and update over your existing install. That’s the price for using Catalina on an unsupported Mac.

Welcome back.
I kind of figured it out. I also got a surprise when I did as you suggest, in that I thought it would be a clean install, but it actually did an update of the existing installation.

Oh god… yes macOS always does an update to the existing installation. Clean install would be a pain in the ass.

So question for you all. To a new Macbook Pro user (Mid-2009) given to me yesterday. Does everything seem to work like it should minus the automatic os updates. Primary concerns would be being able to download apps from the store & being able to use iMessage on the Macbook.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Yes, it’s feature complete.

@MikeInCA thank you so much. I was reading through this forum and it seemed like it should be feature complete. Just wanted to check before actually pulling the chain and going through with it.

Since you appear to be new to MacOS, be aware of the Recovery process on the Mac. It allows you to completely erase the hard drive in preparation for a clean install, and to reinstall the supported MacOS for your machine just in case you run into any problems.
Holding down the Command and R key when powering up gets you into the normal Recovery mode.
Holding down the Alt, Command, and R key when powering up gets you into the online Recovery mode.
A google search will get you several good articles from tech websites on how to use the tool.

I do not own an unsupported Mac, but find this discussion fascinating.
It warms my heart to find that planned obsolescence is not a thing with macs.

I am new to this site and ready to update my 2007 IMac 7,1 24" I went to download the macOS Catalina Patcher and received a warning that the certificate has an invalid issuer.
I hope I am posting this correct place and any help that you could provide would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Make sure your date and time are correct and you get the updater from Apple.com.