IOS 683B: iOS Today Moves to Club TWiT

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I had always enjoyed iOS today in the past (6 years or so) but I stopped watching about 3/4 of a year ago when so much time was devoted to ShortCuts Corner and the long drawn out questions and answers about them. Perhaps there should have been a ShortCuts show- dedicated to just that.

I believe that’s what iFive for the iPhone and Hands-On iOS were. Shorter shows tend to do better as a Club TWiT exclusive these days.

I suspect other than the random 5 minutes of news when there is some (a new Apple release or whatnot) that there isn’t really a lot to cover these days for iOS. You either use it or you don’t and unless your goal is to try every new app that shows up, you’re just listening to a “iOS support show” for company or comfort. (I may be way off base though, as I have never enjoyed the show… I always though it was kinda pointless… but I barely use iOS. I felt the same way about Android too though, and stopped listening to the Android show which became filled with news about hardware only available somewhere in Asia… one can only care about stuff like that so much.)

1 Like

I occasionally listen to those portions to see if there is something shortcuts could maybe do what I didn’t know I needed. So far I haven’t found a use for shortcuts at all.

That section is the main reason I listen to the show… I guess different people like different things.

1 Like

I feel like the next step is the entire network will be behind a club TWIT paywall. I understand why it is being done, as nearly every podcast is now pushing for subscription by the listeners. Juggling news, streaming music & video, storage, podcast, & anything else you can think of subscription costs has become a full time, dizzying chore. I’ve found myself listening to more music, weaning myself off the pressure to pick & choose the many podcasts, which is kinda like losing family members.

I’m still hanging in there a bit with MBW & TWIG. But MBW has shifted to Alex level topics, which are way above my device/programs usage or interests. And I miss Stacey on TWIG, talking about actual useful devices and IOT.

Everything evolves I guess…

3 Likes

Different things for different folks, I guess. Most of the hardware reviewed on AAA is easily available to me in Europe. And it was their mentioning the Unihertz Tank that led me to my current phone, a DooGee V Max, which lasts a shade under a week on a charge, even with my insanely intense usage. Ordered it direct from a Chinese supplier with a website in flawless English that took PayPal, delivered by DHL with full English feedback from the retailer during the pack/dispatch/ship phases. They were also aware of which bands needed to be supported for the European market.

May be less easy in the US, but the coverage of these items has been helpful to me.

1 Like

Agreed. Same here. Podcasts had become the modern version of magazine subscriptions to me. Pressure to listen to an increasing list of new episodes in your podcast app.

So I’ve cut right back. Out walking, I want to hear what’s around me and take pics. In the car, now listening to music on the radio again.

So TWiT is my only sub from here now.