Ideas for possible future shows for the TWiT network

The hard part about a gaming show is that there are SO MANY gaming podcasts out there already that it’s very difficult to do one that stands out. It’s not impossible and I’m not saying it’s not a reason to try, but it would really need a host that has established themselves in the gaming space.

3 Likes

Niche shows are better. Please give me speeds and feeds. But that doesn’t mean I want regurgitated benchmark results. I want interpretation and discussion of the nuances of chip features and testing results. For example, talk about why is one chip better for video rendering while another is better for video editing. There is a difference and if you are about to spend $400 on a chip, you might care about the difference. Come on, I am dying for this. More general computing shows are just that, general. I get no value from general. Just my 2 cents.

Did someone mention Food ?
Why don’t they do an episode of Ham Nation at a Hog Roast…”Ham Feast”
One rotation of the Spit per QSO
Just saying

G8REM

I gather you never heard of the hippopotamus method of turning lead to gold?

Not sure how to define my suggestion.

Listening to The Tech Guy Show, @leo regularly recommends callers take actions like, “switch to Linux (or iOS, or Chromebook)”, or “reinstall (or upgrade to) Windows 10”. But in a lot of cases, the caller has no idea how to go about it, or what it really means to do it. An example was recommending switching to a Chromebook, but for a long time, not mentioning the requirement to install extensions to make it a real alternative.

So, my suggestion is a How To where someone goes through and demonstrates what it really means to “switch to”, or “reinstall”, or “upgrade”. And the show would be aimed at the non-techie Tech Guy Show listeners.

I expect the reaction will be there are YouTube videos showing these things. I consider myself to be a bit “techie”, but I almost always run into a step where I scratch my head, replay multiple times, do a google search, or stumble onto a solution. Then, in some cases, I find the video shows pages I can never find, or I get an error message. So imagine how the total non-techie listener goes when they try to install Chromium browser on the Debian version of Linux they installed based on hearing Leo recommend switching to Linux. Or, try to do a clean install of Windows 10, only to find the video they chose was 2 years old, and some steps or pages have changed.

2 Likes

I think some of these ideas like step by step guides could also be made here so that way when someone comes on a show and has no idea how to do this they could be referred here and see a step by step and of course they could ask questions of all of us that are more knowledgeable to get help probably in a more timely manner than a show would give them.

Just a thought, but I would love to see IFixit type guides here.

4 Likes

How about Hands On COVID :grin:

Hands Off COVID :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Leo is talking pretty often and openly about health issues, today and before. I’d certainly listen to a weekly health show with Dr. Mom or / and someone else.

2 Likes

Hands on Wellness is an upcoming show by Ant.

1 Like

Excellent! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was just thinking, how about a short format security show done from a really high level. This would be something not long that you can send to your non tech friends and family. Think of a show for your parents. You could just repeat the same thing each week in fact haha, don’t click on this, don’t plug anything into your USB…

We always talk about and hear stories of my mom or dad clicked on this and whatever. If they were somehow a bit more aware of what the threats are maybe that would make things better as a whole.

2 Likes

Hands on Security? Sounds good to me.

1 Like

Hands On Security would be great, detailing securing networks etc. Shannon Morse does short form segments ThreatWire on the Hak5 YouTube channel and also often on DTNS Patreon feed. That’s more security news based rather than “hands on” so HOS would be a good complement.

1 Like

I’m not sure this would be a hands on type. I was more thinking like “Staying safe” or “Security headlines” or something. Like I said, I think it would be pretty good if you could link you non techy friends and parents to something to make them aware.
Hmm maybe it could be a hands on. People need help setting up lastpass. And then an episode on how not to click on emails.

1 Like

Seeing stories of how Nascar is using computer games now, a e-sports show might work?
Setup like a regular sports show, but just covering the game versions of the various leagues that are out there.
This Week in E-sports. Could also cover the odds that are being set to lure in the gambling crowd?

1 Like

Really. Where’d you see that?

1 Like

On this page at Artisinal. It’s way down the page, 3rd from the bottom.

I think it was mentioned in one of the shows that Ant was on, but can’t remember which one.

2 Likes

That should be interesting

1 Like