Ideas for possible future shows for the TWiT network

I’d be interested in a show that covered uses and using small size and cost computers (like the Raspberry Pi and others.)

4 Likes

I answered that I’d like a show about EVs in the survey but Linux was in equal footing for me. I’m in the Mac ecosystem right now and I love MacOS but that’s simply because it is an actually usable version of Linux. If I had a decent Laptop for running Linux I would probably use that quite a bit tbh. I’ve always loved Linux but as the years have gone by I’ve not made the time to keep up. A show which covers what packages are in use these days, what’s coming, maybe some ads which are Linux related, what hardware is best to use for Linux etc would be awesome I think

2 Likes

I always wanted a show with Paul Thurrott and Andy Ihnatko— two New Englanders who share a very practical approach to technology and a dry sense of humor but whose personalities couldn’t be more different.

5 Likes

I’d like to see a episodic how to show that goes much deeper than the Ask the Tech Guy… more like a “Here’s How To…” I feel like they would need to be done “all at once”, even if it took multiple hours, but then they could be subsequently delivered in multiple 30min or hour long episodes to cover the whole content.

Some topics:

• Getting up to speed with Unraid (the one I most wish I had right now as I am Unraid curious)
  • Getting started with various Linux distros
  • Making a “RetroPi” gaming machine
  • Installing and configuring your NAS (Synology, FreeNAS, others)
  • Building a NUC or other small PC (like the Asrock Deskmini, or a Gigabyte BRIX, etc)
  • Setting up a Plex server (might interest some people)
  • Setting up a pfSense router for home
  • Building an external HD (enclosure and HDD) and using it to set up backups
  • Backups and disaster recovery using various means (external HDD, a NAS, the cloud)
  • Setting up a home monitoring system (IP cameras and whatever software/NAS is needed)
  • Configuring a Mumble server and some clients
  • Your first “Podcast on the cheap”
  • Setting up a small SIP based PBX system
  • Turning lead to gold (just kidding, wanted to see if you were still reading :wink: )

I’m sure others have ideas that fit the format also.

7 Likes

That was Know How. RIP Know How :confused::coffin:

7 Likes

If you want specific requests, then I think F-Droid needs some publicity.
It is the defacto home for open source software in the android world.
I would imagine the people behind F-Droid would love the opportunity to discuss the many advantages of using the 1 app store that has no adware and actually has a security section.

Making a connection with this ignored area of the software world could even be a regular catch-up, as it would be handy to get a rundown of the recent developments, be they programming or policy.
Android Arena completely focuses on the Google eco-system and does not touch open source (I wish it would), so it would seem the FLOSS is a much more suitable zone where the types of topics will relate better.

1 Like

if you can figure out a way to turn lead into gold you be sure to let the rest of know :grin: No all seriousness I agree with your list especially the one about Linux distros.

1 Like

I know very little about F-Droid (or Android in general). If you can put someone in touch with me at merlyn@stonehenge.com to represent the project, I’ll be happy to schedule them in.

3 Likes

I think a gaming one would be good you have a wide audience for it.
I did also like the coding show but it sadly got cancelled was it viewing numbers?

1 Like

I would love a show where Leo would explain Tech to a complete
novice AKA Mr Wizard.

4 Likes

If a Linux show is done, perhaps getting some well known Linux personality’s involved to co-host?
Maybe some of the folks that were involved with Linux Journal? I liked reading the ‘Cooking With Linux’ articles. They were focused on desktop and for newer users, but also had info for others that do not have time to try various software.

Would need to have part of the show focused on desktop users. Cool app of the week, Linux version of MS or Mac app, stuff like that to attract people to give it a try.

2 Likes

Have you seen Game On? I wonder how they could have done it differently to make it successful. RIP Game On.

Regarding Coding 101, I don’t know if it was viewing numbers or if they just decided doing Coding 102 would have been beyond the scope of what they wanted to do.

2 Likes

That would be awesome!

1 Like

I think some flexibility to the show lengths may help.
The BBC have a dedicated show for gaming related news but it is only 30 mins.

Some shows may fail or be discounted because 1 or 2 hours is too long for the topic.
Security now certainly didn’t start as a 2 hour show.

3 Likes

One issue I noticed with Coding 101 was that viewership would drop whenever the show changed languages. People started with one language and seemed to stay for that module, but when the show would say, “Okay, now we’re doing a module on this other language,” folks dropped off…and wouldn’t come back when the show returned to that language or switched to another one that might have interested them. That’s too bad that people decided not to continue with a new language because it’s great to learn how different programming languages work even at a basic level…and the concepts introduced during those lessons tend to carry over to other languages as well. (For example, the Perl episodes may not have appealed to people because Perl might not be the most popular of languages…but it covered regular expressions, which is something used outside of Perl too.)

It’s a shame because the Coding 101 episodes are some of the best content I that think TWiT has produced. …and maybe I’m biased because I was in a bunch of those episodes, but even the ones I wasn’t in were great evergreen content that could teach people a lot about coding.

2 Likes

The big hurdle to any new show, IMO, is how many other shows of that type are there already out there? Can you do a show kind of like This Week in Tech were you discuss stories by other sites, have some of the authors on as guests, ect.

Gaming seems like a saturated market. Can TWiT do anything to stand out? Current algorithms favor new shows, so that will help with discoverability, but can it grow enough to be profitable?

As @PDelahanty pointed out, a coding show needs to stick to a language, So there should be a Python show, Ruby, ect. Could get someone to do Perl and SmallTalk real easy. :wink: @Leo could do an entire multi-year series on using Emacs.
But that might run afoul of a certain sponsor.

Maybe there are some personalities that did shows in the past (here or elsewhere) and still have a following that could be persuaded to work with TWiT?

So I guess my question is not what show would you like to see, but what host would you like to see do a show on TWiT?

2 Likes

I’d be all in on a multi-season programming show to go from novice to experienced. I have no idea which language to go with… I’d rely on the experts at TWiT and in this community to provide that input.

2 Likes

I have a new show idea…
Bring back Scott Wilkinson. We need another tv/audio show. But not the same as the techie show it was before. Instead, have it similar to the talk/speak (level of complexity) during CES or how it is presented on The Tech Guy show. So talk in general about the different technologies, what’s the best Tv to buy now, what’s the new tech on the horizon, etc. Answer viewer write-in questions. And add more about Audio. The show in the past was heavy in the tv side and light on the audio side and way to Techie. This show could be a 1/2 hour show or a 1 hour show depending on content.

3 Likes

Have you seen Game On? I wonder how they could have done it differently to make it successful.

The big reason it failed was merely cause it was too expensive to produce meaning they had to can it only like ~12 episodes in before anyone could even know it existed cause they simply couldn’t afford to continue. It was the first time they tried doing a “TV-esque” show and was a big experiment which probably could’ve been more successful if it just kept going on for longer to be noticed. Since then of course, they’ve done The New Screen Savers which while also eventually being canceled managed to do the same more fancy TV style production for way longer (~200 vs ~12) showing they clearly figured out how to implement it better.

Still, I do think if they ever bring back a gaming show, they won’t go back to that style, it will just be either a standard roundtable show like TWiT or a shorter focused topic show like all the new Hands On shows.

2 Likes

If they do it, I look forward to it - especially the VR section. :grin:

1 Like