How not to inspire confidence in the quality of your product

I don’t want to be a jerk about it, but every time I see this dialog from Notepad++ it just makes me angry that someone didn’t do better quality assurance:

HowNotToWriteProgramThatInspiresConfidence

3 Likes

Whadya want for nothin’? Rubber biscuit?

3 Likes

You should use Chocolatey and put the update script on a late night run to make sure that it is updated and waiting for you.

Also, EMACS!! Just kidding.

@SoulDessin I think you may have missed my point. My complaint is not that an update is required… it is the 9223372036854775808% complete indication.

Want me to fix it?! :slight_smile: GitHub - notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus: Notepad++ official repository

6 Likes

I read that as some random generated file number at first. That is sort of funny.

2 Likes

Actually, I kind of like it.

Go on, then! Do eeet! :joy:

Let’s do eet!

Honestly, it’s a super old bug they have never fixed.

I noticed the code is using and old version of Boost too. A wrapper would need to be written to do the download progress math to fix it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put it past the programmers to goof around a bit now and make it show weird percentages.

99%
99.9999%
101Dalnations%
98ooops%

5 Likes

Wait! This bug is critical to my workflow now! :grin:

1 Like

So there seems to be an issue with how this is being calculated and being sent to the window [progress].

progress.setPercent(int32_t((i * 100) / filesCount), fileNames.at(i).c_str());

Believe it or not, I set the npp version to the previous version, and when I get the download dialog, I can’t reproduce the issue. :crazy_face:

#define NOTEPAD_PLUS_VERSION TEXT("Notepad++ v7.8.1")

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not fully reproducible unfortunately. :confused: It seems to happen when there is a delay/retry in retrieving the file/manifest or whatever it does at the very beginning.

I saw the bug for all of half a second before the update finished and display updated to read 100%