HOT 77: Wacom One Pen Tablet Review

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

Hi Ant,
For someone that has both a Mac and an ipad; can you compare this combination to the Wacom tablet. You can use the ipad as a second display to a Mac. Years ago I had a version of the Wacom tablet with out a screen. Nice but not natural in that you had to draw on the tablet but look at the computer monitor.

John

2 Likes

It would help Ant see it if you tag him @ant_pruitt

3 Likes

Depends on what you want. I spend a lot more time on the Intous so I’m not always in need of a display at the stylus. Also, pressure sensitivity for certain tasks may be critical.

When I want to use a display Wacom, it’s usually for headshots as I like a really close look at the subject. IPad isn’t going to give you the same vers of Photoshop as a computer will. Nor Lightroom. Hope that helps

1 Like

It certainly helps me… I think I’ll be getting a Wacom One when I can. Thanks @ant_pruitt :grin:

1 Like

My pleasure, ma’am :fist_right:t5:

1 Like

Sadly it seems that Wacom have fallen into the same habit as so many other companies, of siphoning up as much data as possible about a user’s activities:

If I was thinking of buying a Wacom product, this would definitely make me stop and think. Maybe not stop me from buying, but certainly think a bit.

2 Likes

yeah saw this last night. Smh

2 Likes

The Linux drivers aren’t affected. They don’t phone home.

There is also a URL that you can block. If it can’t find the .xml file on the Wacom server, it won’t send the data to Google (Wacom lets Google Analytics collect the data for them).

You can also turn it off in the Wacom driver settings, but you have to search for it, it isn’t obvious. It certainly wouldn’t be GDPR compliant, because that would have to be opt-in, not hidden opt-out, it would come down to whether uniquely identifying the PC is PII or not, for me it is.

If I had a Wacom, I’d probably do both, block it on my gateway and turn it off in the driver.

That is what I did with the data collection in my Unifi APs. With Windows, I just disabled the data collection service. It is getting tiring running around behind all this software, trying to stop it phoning home. I’m seriously considering moving back over to Linux full-time.

4 Likes

brilliant. Good information

3 Likes